Anotehr simple question about the dual and recording

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socialparasite

Reaction score
Ok i have had cool edit pro for sometime on my computer. I noticed that i can plug the back of my dual head into my computer (i have all the right size inputs etc..) My question is i have heard to never play your amp with it being plugged into a cab. Do i have to be plugged into cab when connecting direct in to my computer with the dual head? Hope that made since

You must always keep a load on the head when using it. Don't run it exlusively into your computer unless you have a dummy load on the head while doing it.

If you run a line from the speaker out to the computer (internal or external sound card), you'll probably fry your computer! Now, if you're talking about the slave out, yes you do still have to have a load connected to the amp.

FYI, going direct from the recto will probably sound like digital sizzly hell :twisted: , if you really want to get the rectifier sound for recording without the volume, might I suggest the VOX Tonelab? I have one and I think it's the best model of the recto I've ever heard.

Just a little FYI.

thanks guys. I just noticed it does not have a recording jack on the back like my nomad 55 does. Maybe i should try the nomad or put a shure 57 in the front of the dual and try to record that way to the computer

Definitely use the 57 and mic it. Here's a little trick/tip for you if you want to record at home on a budget. Instead of using a mic pre for your SM-57, just use the boost function on the mic on your soundcard in your computer. Go into your sound settings ("advanced") for recording with a mic and you should see the option to boost your signal by 20dB. That should get you up to appropriate levels without the need for a mic pre and make your 57 very usable straight into the computer. To give you an example, here's a quick recording I did using a SM-57 straight into the computer. The drums are just some generic samples I used, and I was using a little solid state, 15W Crate practice amp I bought for $30 used (GFX-15). Enjoy!

http://jbeard.ho8.com/Cratewolf.mp3

Nice metallica sound for a small amp. It sounds really good to be just a mic straight in the computer you got me convienced now thanks for the tip

socialparasite said:
Nice metallica sound for a small amp. It sounds really good to be just a mic straight in the computer you got me convienced now thanks for the tip

Thanks...it's quadruple tracked to beef it up some. For a little solid state 15W practice amp at bedroom volumes, I can't complain. I can't exactly use my main rig ('94 Mesa Dual Recto and Mesa Recto 4X12) at home in my apt, so I use the little amp to record song ideas to take to band practice for the guys to hear.

Latest posts

Back