Andy Timmons sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andreas

Reaction score
Love the sound of Andy who says he mostly plays the Stiletto and Lonestar. Have seen some great videoclips by ANdy playing the Lonestar on You tube where he has a great lead sound with lots of sustain. I want to buy me either the Stiletto Deuce or the Lonestar. Whch one is the more versatile? Which one will give me the Andy Timmons tone as displayed for example on his new CD with songs as Resolution, Deliver us, The answer, the prayer. I want a fat lead sound with loads of sustain.
Which amp would you buy? By the way i am playing mostly at home. Are both amps ok at bedroom level or will they dissapoint even with a Hot plate?

I love the tone Andy gets on the video demo for the Xotic BB Preamp on the Xotic website. If it were up to me I would probably go with a Lonestar and perhaps the BB Preamp. For more sustain on solo work i would use the drive that the lonestar dishes out on CH.2 and use the BB to boost it. The BB is an AWESOME pedal in itself. I'm planning on getting one soon. He does use the Lonestar head though with a 4x12 Stilleto cab which has Vintage 30's in it which has a factor to play in the overall tone as well. IT'S A HARD DECISION....... GOOD LUCK!!!!!!! :lol:

Also keep in mind that he's running a Carl Martin compressor and a Butler Tube Driver. I know he keeps the compressor on at all times, and the Tube Driver is on quite a bit as well. I would hope that the tone in that video wasn't a result of the Tube Driver and BB Preamp combination, because that video has given me mad lust for the BB.

Andreas said:
Love the sound of Andy who says he mostly plays the Stiletto and Lonestar. Have seen some great videoclips by ANdy playing the Lonestar on You tube where he has a great lead sound with lots of sustain. I want to buy me either the Stiletto Deuce or the Lonestar. Whch one is the more versatile? Which one will give me the Andy Timmons tone as displayed for example on his new CD with songs as Resolution, Deliver us, The answer, the prayer. I want a fat lead sound with loads of sustain.
Which amp would you buy? By the way i am playing mostly at home. Are both amps ok at bedroom level or will they dissapoint even with a Hot plate?

I have both amps...and just about all of Andy's CDs...and can tell you that alot of his recorded tones come from Marshalls...and based on the tone of the LSC and Stiletto, I'd say the Stiletto would get you closer to his tone -- if you can only buy one of them. THe Deuce has a really great clean tone as well.

However, if you're only playing at home, the Deuce really shines when opened up (volume could be an issue for you)

Also the Ibanez AT300 is a big part of that sound (I have that too) -- suprisingly great sounding "All Mahogany" axe.

I had both the Lonestar Classic and took it back for a MKIV and eventually the Stiletto Deuce II. When I listen to Andy Timmons recent sounds it's Marshall on the recording... and when I heard that sound I thought what the hell is he using. I went to his site... read his interviews and though the Lonestar never sounded like that to me. The Lonestar was a Fender Twin with medium + gain. It had the Fender looseness and it wouldn't track fast enough to keep up to me when I played fast. It went mushy on me. Incredible cleans and for slower runs was beautiful. No crunch at all though. Fenders don't do a good crunch. I returned it and go a MKIV because it was a lot tighter and more focused but it wasn't breathy/airy like the Lonestar and was always disappointed with the cleans on the MKIV. Enter the Stiletto Deuce II... I tried out the Ace and found it was too thin and harsh for my ears (Note the subjectivity please)... then I brought home the Deuce... The cleans sound better then my MKIV to my ears and everyone who has listened and given an opinion... The lead sound is tight and has the Marshall haze that Fender style amps do not get... but it doesn't sound fizzy like newer Marshalls do a lower volumes... it sounds like Andy Timmons!!!! Like an older Marshall hot rodded and turned up... this is at bedroom levels. Live this thing launches to 2 or 3 levels higher... I **** near wet myself when I turned it up to 11 on the output! It turned from really nice to legendary in my opinion. It sounds exactly like Andy Timmons to me and that is running it without pedals. There is a really good article where Andy talks about how the Stiletto nails the sound of his vintage Marshalls that he uses in the studio allowing him to get his studio sound live now. He is very high on the Stilettos as well but I only hear the Stiletto sound on his newer stuff. I don't really hear the Lonestar sound there. He's probably using them both at the same time to fill it out and get a wider sound spectrum. Either amp is amazing though and the cover different sonic terrain. It is very similar to the way Eric Johnson uses the Fender Twins/Deluxe Reverbs and Marshall Plexis. The Lonestar covers the Fender stuff while the Deuce covers the Marshall stuff.

srf399 said:
I had both the Lonestar Classic and took it back for a MKIV and eventually the Stiletto Deuce II. When I listen to Andy Timmons recent sounds it's Marshall on the recording... and when I heard that sound I thought what the hell is he using. I went to his site... read his interviews and though the Lonestar never sounded like that to me. The Lonestar was a Fender Twin with medium + gain. It had the Fender looseness and it wouldn't track fast enough to keep up to me when I played fast. It went mushy on me. Incredible cleans and for slower runs was beautiful. No crunch at all though. Fenders don't do a good crunch. I returned it and go a MKIV because it was a lot tighter and more focused but it wasn't breathy/airy like the Lonestar and was always disappointed with the cleans on the MKIV. Enter the Stiletto Deuce II... I tried out the Ace and found it was too thin and harsh for my ears (Note the subjectivity please)... then I brought home the Deuce... The cleans sound better then my MKIV to my ears and everyone who has listened and given an opinion... The lead sound is tight and has the Marshall haze that Fender style amps do not get... but it doesn't sound fizzy like newer Marshalls do a lower volumes... it sounds like Andy Timmons!!!! Like an older Marshall hot rodded and turned up... this is at bedroom levels. Live this thing launches to 2 or 3 levels higher... I **** near wet myself when I turned it up to 11 on the output! It turned from really nice to legendary in my opinion. It sounds exactly like Andy Timmons to me and that is running it without pedals. There is a really good article where Andy talks about how the Stiletto nails the sound of his vintage Marshalls that he uses in the studio allowing him to get his studio sound live now. He is very high on the Stilettos as well but I only hear the Stiletto sound on his newer stuff. I don't really hear the Lonestar sound there. He's probably using them both at the same time to fill it out and get a wider sound spectrum. Either amp is amazing though and the cover different sonic terrain. It is very similar to the way Eric Johnson uses the Fender Twins/Deluxe Reverbs and Marshall Plexis. The Lonestar covers the Fender stuff while the Deuce covers the Marshall stuff.

Agree with everything stated -- except, disagree on the MK IV. It serves a purpose in my camp for when I need a focused cutting sound. The cleans are perfect for me in Funk and R&B gigs.

But I disgress...the Stiletto Deuce II is Mesa's shining star right now (IMO).

The AT300 is cancelled by Ibanez. I have heard that he has parted ways with them.

I used to own an AT300. It really wasnt that great a guitar. Andy seemed to prefer the older model even after the AT300 was introduced.

A new Timmons axe would be nice to see. Maybe he'd go with something like an Anderson, G&L, or maybe even Fender. It'd be wierd to see him go completely left and jump on the PRS bandwagon, and it'd be even more out of place to see him with a Les Paul in his hands. Not saying he couldn't make them sing, but it would just be an odd visual.

Andy has recently become a Friend on the Anderson Guitars MySpace page.

I dont think he is a big enough name to warrant a sig guitar.

RoadKinger483 said:
I love the tone Andy gets on the video demo for the Xotic BB Preamp on the Xotic website. If it were up to me I would probably go with a Lonestar and perhaps the BB Preamp. For more sustain on solo work i would use the drive that the lonestar dishes out on CH.2 and use the BB to boost it. The BB is an AWESOME pedal in itself. I'm planning on getting one soon. ! :lol:

I bought the BB after watching the Andy Timmons youtube video. I use it on a Dual Rec thriple channel and it turns channel 2 into a blistering lead channel. I had to monkey with it for a few gigs to dial it in but I have not reverted to my beloved Analogman Maxon Ts-9 for awhile now ( a pedal I have used religiously along with other tubescreamers in the past).

I have been thinking about dumping my Single Rec that I use as a backup so I can justify getting a Stiletto Deuce. I have not made up my mind yet and if the Mark V does not surface at Winter Namm then I am posting the SR in the classifieds...

By the BB.....frigging awesome pedal !

JAZZGEAR said:
Agree with everything stated -- except, disagree on the MK IV. It serves a purpose in my camp for when I need a focused cutting sound. The cleans are perfect for me in Funk and R&B gigs.

I agree with you... the MKIV clean for funk type of stuff is very good. And again... it's subjective. But again today 5 different people came up to me after we played and complimented the sound I was getting on the Fat Clean mode. I really think the sound has a lot to do with the player and the guitar used as well... The amp suits my playing style and my guitar a lot better than the MKIV did. The other thing with the Lonestar is that Andy Timmons might be using EL34's in it.

I saw him playing a Suhr guitar...

art_n_music said:
srf399 said:
JAZZGEAR said:
The other thing with the Lonestar is that Andy Timmons might be using EL34's in it.

+1 I think that's the answer.......

The Xotic video of Timmons was the reason I bought a BB. I am using a BB in front of a 2007 LoneStar Classic loaded with 6L6s (STR-440). Timmons uses it to push channel 2 of the LoneStar harder. It does a fantastic job of this as I found out on Saturday night - it was my first gig since getting the pedal. It takes nothing away from your tone and the voicing of the amp - It is Fantastic!!

I can't comment on whether Timmons uses EL34s but that would definitely make sense for a more Marshall tone.

Just my 2p (spot the Brit!)

D

Here is a portion of the Andy Timmon's interview:

"Almost everything in the studio was vintage Marshall. But now with the Mesa/Boogie amps I’m playing, I’m able to recreate everything I did in the studio spot-on with the Stiletto and the Lone Star. The record was mainly a ‘68 Plexi on one side and a ‘79 JMP on the other. I was mainly using them as clean amps with a Tube Driver in front of them.

My Boogie stuff is great because the sound of those Marshalls in the studio, I can absolutely never get those sounds live. I’ve been friends with Steve Mueller at Mesa/Boogie for years. My favorite amp of theirs for years was the Maverick. It was the closest thing that would let me get my sound. I love the Rectifier and those types of amps but they really weren’t what I was going for. They came out with the Lone Star a few years ago and that’s when I really went, “Okay, now that’s something that’s me.”

I had been working with Laney amps for a few years before that, and they make good amps, and we tried a little bit to create a signature amp for me, and we got close a couple of times but it never really got off the ground. So I let my endorsement with them lapse, thinking that I didn’t want an endorsement to get in the way of me being happy with what I’m playing through.

Steve Mueller from Mesa/Boogie came to hear the tracks we were working on for the new record and he was blown away with the tone, wanting to know what we were using, and I sheepishly told him that it was the vintage Marshall stuff. He was like, “Wow, that just really sounds amazing. We’re working on the Stiletto and we’d love to get your ears involved, because we’re trying to capture some of this and then some.” Obviously, they’re going to do their own thing, and when Steve came to me with a later version of the Stiletto I was absolutely blown away because Mesa/Boogie absolutely nailed that sound – especially my 1979 JMP sound.

Now, I can get that recorded sound live, which I’ve never been able to do before, plus with those vintage Marshalls, you really don’t want to take those things on the road. They’re so valuable now. And Boogie was like, “We want you to have an amp where you can get that sound live,” and they really, really nailed it. I’m so thrilled that between those two amps – I have a switching system going – they nailed every tone that I could need. It’s fantastic! "

Now I just need to save up and talk the war department (aka my wife) into letting me get a Lonestar Classic to match my Stiletto! :)

Yes.... dear.... er ok dittums... sorry I'll get off the computer... I'm coming dear...

Gotta run guys! LMAO

Latest posts

Back