Andy Timmons Electric Gypsy Cover (Mark IV)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibson5413

Reaction score
I have really been trying to improve my playing dynamics. Sometimes the best way to tighten things up is to play with less gain (at least compared to what I am used to). I have been tinkering with my Anderson Classic and have been loving the tones out of the single coils as of late. I decided to put together a quick cover clip of my favorite tune of his - Electric Gypsy.

Let me first say, I know I didn't play the first lead break like him (tapping the harmonic notes). I can't do it well enough so I decided to play it normally. In addition, I took quite a few liberties with notes and licks. I love cover clips that stay true but allow the player to show some of their own creativity, which I did. I never play the solo twice the same way. I got a little lost right towards the end but who cares, right? :yes:

Either way, hope you like it. I used my Anderson Classic and Rhy 2 on the Mark IV. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mekc__vFSOY

Wow! I'm a huge Timmons fan. I listen to his albums constantly. You did a great job. Nothing like learning a Timmons song to work your dynamics and touch sensitivity!

Great work, mate! I just heard this song for the first time the other day; I'd actually never heard of Andy Timmons until the other day (I know, what rock have I been living under, right?) Anyway, it's a really great song with a rich melody, and you captured it very well.

Cheers,
Joe

Your playing was good and I agree note for note covers aren't up everyone's alley. I actually like it that folks add their own stuff as long as it doesn't sound too far off the whole song's feel etc., I used to frown upon "inaccurate covers" but I got bored with that really fast :)

The only thing I'd comment on is the tone - I think you used a little too much dirt, or maybe the sound was too "hard", either way I missed some softness there.

I agree, nicely done. Maybe a bit too much gain, but I would guess you were using a bit of extra gain to make up for not being able to crank the amp up loud enough to really get Andy's tone. I'm no expert, but from watching several of his clips I suspect his tone's smoothness comes from using more power and less preamp.

Overall, nicely done, better than I could do when I try to cover Andy's tunes! Did you have a backing track of some kind? If so, where do you get that kind of thing?

Latest posts

Back