Andy Timmons - Carpe Diem (New Mark IV Clip - How Is The Mix

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibson5413

Reaction score
I'm finally beginning to figure out programming drums (I think). I played bass as well on this track. I am mainly posting this clip to get your opinions on the overall mix (drums, bass, guitars). I know the lead is spotty since I improvised.

Where can I improve? I am looking to do a lot of recording this weekend so anything you can offer will help. Thanks!

Guitars were all Mesa Boogie Mark IV on lead channel. I recorded the bass with a Yamaha direct into a Sansamp Bass Driver DI. EZ Drummer for percussion.

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=25075

Man I love the smoothness of the amp...

Try getting a tighter bass punch between your kick and bass track. I think this is really important to give the song power. It's easy to go overboard with it though, reference a lot to where you started so you always have an idea. Then set your rhythm tracks over top of it to taste. Throw a bit of panned off delay and Limelight esque 'verb on the lead and I think it'll sound pretty huge.

the guitar sounds were great. the mix on my computer speakers seemed really guitar heavy....I seek a better balance between the drums, bass and guitars. try putting a little touch of room reverb on the drums as they seem awful tight and stiff to me and putting some more verb on them will give them some space.....the bass sound was a little uneven...so i would work with the compression settings to get it a little more tight and focused......lastly, throw out the "rules" you hear about or read about compression settings and EQ...trust your ears...if your mix and sounds sound good to you then chances are they are....don't be afraid to make radical adjustments to obtain the sound you are looking for.

Very nice mix! The drums were cool. They are my main frustration as well. I wish I had room for an acoustic or electric kit...

Few suggestions:

-the rhythm guitars were a little bassy, so cut the lows out a bit.

-compress the bass and/or boost the low end a bit after cutting the lows on the guitars. The bass should add the tight bottom end to the mix (along with the kick drum), not the guitars.

-bump up the kick drum to taste to achieve a nice tight bass and kick mix.

-like someone else said, add some reverb to the drums to loosen them up a little.

-You could prob get away with bumping the treble up on the lead track to further differentiate it from the rhythm guitars and maybe a little reverb as well.

-If you double tracked the rhythm guitars, pan them to the left and right further to, again, separate them from the lead track.

These are just the first things I heard, but, overall, very nice! Keep it up! Me likey so far...

+1 to all that....aside from the stiff drums, the bass needs some punch in the chest kick! Try boosting lows and low mids for the bass.

Otherwise, the lead sounded awesome. The rhythm sounds very marshall-esque. How did you get it so bright?

settings please!!! best lead sound from mark iv,i was looking for that sound :shock:

Nice work gibson. I agree with the comments about the bass. What guitar did you use for the solo?

I am bumping this for a repost of the clip and possibly some settings. I just started listening to some Andy Timmons and am loving it.

geese_com said:
I am bumping this for a repost of the clip....

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/52-Carpe%20Diem%20%282%29.mp3

It's on his netmusicians.org page (along with all his other Mark IV clips). The link is in his signature at the very bottom of his post:

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?value=gibson5413&section=user

Latest posts

Back