Analyze this Mark II C+ for me. . .

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nazgul666

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220094352946&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Does this look legitimate?

thanks,

Mike

looks pretty legit. I don't know if the IIC+ is supposed to have sus4 or not, but this one does NOT. and also, being only the 50 watt version, its somewhat less desireable, making the 2000 dollar price tag kinda high. you've got a nice clear shot of the serial, try giving mesa a call and seeing what records they have for that serial number. you'd be surprised what they can tell you.

Schmoog said:
looks pretty legit. I don't know if the IIC+ is supposed to have sus4 or not, but this one does NOT. and also, being only the 50 watt version, its somewhat less desireable, making the 2000 dollar price tag kinda high. you've got a nice clear shot of the serial, try giving mesa a call and seeing what records they have for that serial number. you'd be surprised what they can tell you.

Cool. I just called Mesa and left a message. Waht do you think of the 50 watt thing. Is that a loud amp?

A few things,

1. It is 60 watts, not 50. 60 watts is PLENTY LOUD if that's your main concern.

2. It is legit. Serial number checks in within the correct range.

3. That wood looks sick! EQ is alwasy a very nice ++++!

4. The negatives:
It is not Simul-Class. I personally lile Simul-Class because you get to combine 6L6 and El34 tubes at the same time to give you the best characteristics of both tubes. You can always drop into Class A to run at 15 watts and really cook your tubes! If you don't care much for this, then this amp is pretty sweet-looking. Danyeo's clips of his 60watt C+ are very very nice, so I don't think you'll miss out on that much. Simul-Class amps are said to be smoother though.

From a visual standpoint, the transformer seems to be the "100." The "105" is what most people like on this amp because it does not sag, thereby creating a very tight and aggressive tone. The 100 will sag and give you some more smoothness, which is better if you want to play a lot of melodic lead stuff. Note however, the 105 is not stiff at all. It is also smooth, just tighter. You're going to have to ask him to tell you the number on the bottom of the transformer to be sure which it is.

Lastly, the C+'s after 13,300 have an oddly balanced volume taper. I don't see why this should affect things that much, but if you're a perfectionist, then I guess it's a bad thing. BB probably can say more about that.

I think he wants $2000 because of the exotic wood on it, which alone is worth a few hundred bucks.

It's real and it's a 100. The amp does not need 500 plate voltes for a 60W.
One thing a lot of people did not understand about the IIC+ was that the long Mesa Boogie logo was optional. I back doored one off of E-Bay in the prime of IIC+ hysteria because people thought it was a MK III with the long logo. It was, an is perfect in every way and the bid did not even hit
$ 900. I quickly drove my *** up to West Virginia with $ 1500.00 and met the guy at a Cracker Barrel and did the deal in the parking lot.

As far as the Master Volume, don't worry about it. All later MK series have the same volume circuit. The early ones just had a better taper and did not jump to 11 when you were on 3.

Awesome info guys. So what about the 100 vs. the 105. Will I still be able to pull off tight rhythms with this?

Is the simulclass a big deal? To be honest, this will be used in a 2 guitar metal band I'm in where I'll primarily be playing riffs.

the amp is gonna be tight as hell. for the 60 watt, you dont need the larger transformer, so very likely you would notice a difference. if it was a 60/100 or a simul class, you'd probably notice the smaller tranny. as far as volume goes, 60 is probably gonna be plenty for you. any venue that would require you to turn the amp up louder than comfortable to fill will probably mic it anyways

The 100, IMO is overkill for a 60W. It should be a very loud amp.
The 105 is just overkill for overkill's sake. You should have no problem keeping up with 100 watt amps and shred with ease. The 60W and 100W IIC+'s have an inherent upper mid sizzle that adds to the sense of gain.
The Simul's have the Class A triode and seem to smooth out a bit more.
It's not that one or the other has more gain, it's how the power section amplifies it. Simul's are also very sweet when running 4 6L6's. They add a bit more sizzle and bottom end. The EL-34's give you a liquid sweet shred with a bit less bottom end. In either case, with the Simul's you do not have as much of that upper spikey sizzle. You have to realize that the IIC+ is a bright amp with a very big natural bottom end. It's a freak of nature. I also do not scoop the mids. I run the dial at 5 and the 750 just above the bottom line. They have a very nice attack and cut rather well.

Well I put in $2200 and it still hasn't hit the reserve, so this guy has high hopes apparently.

The head cab and thiele were bought from another forum member. A blue stripe MkIII with R2 mod used to be in that head shell, I think. It was in the Boogie classifeds a while back.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=5011&highlight=mark+iii+thieles

This is not to say anything negative about the amp. Just to confirm how THIS amp ended up with the MESA nameplate.

Man, i learn something here every day! no idea that 60watters only used the 100! Very cool and it makes perfect sense!

BTW, BB, awesome story about Cracker Barrel! LMAO!

It didn't sell and now the guy is offering me a second chance for $2200. I am interested in tight metal rhythms, would I be better off just getting a MarkIV? Or will this IIC+ do the trick?

Thanks,

Mike

Turns out that eBay does have a second chance offer option now. I know because it is my listing! I have been a member and participant on this forum since my first Boogie (Lonestar Special) and whoever gets this amp is going to be very pleased. Love to see one of you real enthusiast get it but I am sure it will find a good home!

cander328 said:
Turns out that eBay does have a second chance offer option now. I know because it is my listing! I have been a member and participant on this forum since my first Boogie (Lonestar Special) and whoever gets this amp is going to be very pleased. Love to see one of you real enthusiast get it but I am sure it will find a good home!

There he is! I'm still struggling Cander. I'll shoot you an E-Mail. What kind of music do you play?

Russ said:
your link is not complete

Here's the full link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-IIC-Head-with-EQ-and-Reverb_W0QQitemZ220097725250QQcategoryZ43374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

When I posted this, the starting bid was $2200 with no bids yet. Looks like the new auction ends Monday.

Back