Amp tone Poll!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vote for which of three amps sound best

• Amp 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Amp 2

• Amp 3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MesieBooga

Reaction score
I mic'ed up a Standard Recto Cab with V30's with an Audix I5 mic on the cone. I than recorded the same rhythm figure thru 3 different IIC+ amps. I tried to keep them all the same volume although upon listening to the MP3 I was unsuccessful! :cry: Keep that in mind when voting for the best tone.
Each IIC+ has different tubes and is set up a little different, but it is surprising how much they all sound alike! :shock: Vote for which you think sounds best! Results on Tuesday afternoon!

http://home.comcast.net/~toddduane/2cpoll2.mp3

You realize you can see the results now?

I'm in the majority. Really close. I mean the sounds not the results.

Thy all sound pretty similar, but the third one has a little more body to it i think. Great tone!!!!

I actually thought the last one was a little too bassy. It sounded great alone, but hearing bass and drums in there would have made the guitar sound too bassy I think.

1 & 2 were too close to call. 3 had a stronger low bass tone that I didn't care for. So I didn't vote.

908ssp said:
1 & 2 were too close to call. 3 had a stronger low bass tone that I didn't care for. So I didn't vote.

I wonder if it was too much 80 on the EQ. Great to hear these comments! It might have been the preamp V1 tube too. I moved it to amp 2 to try it and I noticed it added a boom facter.

MesieBooga said:
I wonder if it was too much 80 on the EQ. Great to hear these comments! It might have been the preamp V1 tube too. I moved it to amp 2 to try it and I noticed it added a boom facter.

Can i know what's the V1 preamp tube ? i really like the fat tone the third sample have

I find in these 3 samples a lack of middle frequencies, sure the tones are really good but a little more middle and they are perfect, too "Metalish" for my taste !

Antoine said:
I find in these 3 samples a lack of middle frequencies, sure the tones are really good but a little more middle and they are perfect, too "Metalish" for my taste !

:| It's set up for me, I can't go more because in the same way you need it I despise it. :lol: It's not completely scooped though. (The MID is half scooped) But I appreciate the comment and we all like something different. It's amazing to hear 3 amps with different tubes and settings how they all sound the same to me! Amazing! :shock: It must be my sound. 8) Also remember your hearing a mic's version of the tone. :roll:

Sure it's set up for your tastes, and it sound very good like this, in fact, i've got a MarkIV short Head with a Recto 2x12, and i play Ernie Ball guitars through this (a Luke and an Axis Super Sport) and with the Axis the sound of the IV is very close to yours, just that i set the Middle between 8 or 9 and then completly cut them with the EQ, but what great amps are the Mesa Mark series !!!

Antoine said:
MesieBooga said:

Can i know what's the V1 preamp tube ? i really like the fat tone the third sample have

The 3rd one has a NOS Mullard in V1. You can hear a difference on that one? In person they all sound more different than the tone test does.

RESULTS:

Amp 1 Mahogany Simul-Class IIC+ with 4 6L6 STR440's and a Chinese 12ax7 in V1
16% [ 2 ]
Amp 2 Blonde Simul-Class IIC+ with STR415's and STR EL34's with a Philips NOS 12ax7 in V1.
25% [ 3 ]
Amp 3 Non-SimulClass (!) :shock: Long Head with EQ and Reverb. Has a NOS Mullard 12ax7 in V1 and Mesa STR440 6L6's.
58% [ 7 ]

Total Votes : 12

The winning amp has won every "poll" I've put it in including against Diezels, Bogners and Soldano's! In a way I'm bummed out because I have another IIC+ on the way and I will have to sell one of these amps. The Non-Simul-Class would be the one to go... however it won this contest! :shock: :cry: My vote was for #1 btw. :wink:

Latest posts

Back