amp suggestions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckyboogiefreak

Reaction score
Well the age old dilema is upon me.I have a Rivera Venus 3 with a 12. I am looking for another amp to go with this.I have narrowed to Express5:50,Engl Fireball or Stilleto Ace.As you can guess I have no use for a 100 watt amp as Iplay at home and at a friends some.I also own a Rectoverb that I have had for 8 years. Ihave heard and read that Express cant do metal and that Stilletto ace is very thin with very bright topend. I have played the Engl but would have to order from online source as I live in the *** of this great country.Ican drive to Nashville and try out the Boogies maybe but the stores never seem to have much in them and I swore off GC 8 years ago when they screwed ne on a Les Paul.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have much experience with ENGL's, but the Stiletto is a killer amp. I've never tried it with singlecoils, though. It can be a bright amp, but it can easily be tamed. It can do anything, really. Some guys here have some killer clips of the Ace doing heavy, heavy stuff. For me the Ace is all about Rock. It can do any Marshall tones but with more authority and balls.

Mostly I'm just jealous of your Venus 3 - great amp by the looks of it! But isn't it really small, volume wise? Any of those other amps you mention would blow it of the stage.

Maybe you just need some pedals for the Rectoverb? Is there a pre-amp out on the Venus?

Again, I'm jealous of your Venus!

For 15 watts it just screams.I play mostly metal music with humbuckers but I bought the venus cause it sounds greta and you can just pick it up and go.Just want soomething with a different sound.Not a huge fan of the recto sound anymore but cant bear to part with my rectoverb.

the Ace is worth a demo. Especially if you are playing at less than ear splitting levels. The feedback you can coax from it is SO pleasing. It handles 7 string metal with ease. I even used it in a big band with an archtop, and it sounded pretty **** good

If you want something with a different sound, then the Marshall-flavored Stilleto or the Mark4 are worth your time. You could also wait a few months for the Mark5 at the next Namm.

Outside the Mesa family, Splawn is worth a serious look.

Welllllllllllllllll, I solved my problem but may get kicked out of the house.I bought a used Orange Rockerverb 50 and a used 5:50 monday.I got the Rockerverb for 1200 and the 5:50 for 1000.Now if I can just get COUPLE OF Thiele cabs. :lol:

Back