Amp selection made - Thanks for the forum's help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinelake

Reaction score
I started looking for a new amp several months back. Narrowed the search to Mesa and Rivera. My main amp to this point has been my Marshall Silver Jubilee. I gravitated to jazz and still do a lot of blues and some fusion. I was looking for an amp that could cover a wide range, wouldn't be too loud or break my back.

My local music store let me bring home a Mesa Express 5:25 and a Rivera Venus 5 to play side-by-side. I loved the Mesa. Very versatile amp and it's own unique sound. Same for the Rivera. I did choose the Rivera. It was 2 months old and brought back to the store by a 62 year old gent who primarily plays in church only. Too much amp for the venue. I picked it up well below list price. The Venus 5 has 5 12AX7's and 2 6l6's. 15 watt / 50 watt switchable.

Once again, I love the Mesa sound and know I'll be back looking around to add one to the collection... once my wife is over the sticker shock of what I just did!

Great forum with intelligent discussion.
Cheers!

Glad you found the right amp for you. But once you get the Express in your blood..... BTW, you mentioned "intelligent discussion" which means I wasn't part of it. :)

Trust me... this was a hard decision. I told the guy at the music store that I felt like I had to chose between Jessica Simpson and Cameron Diaz. Both hot numbers just different models. Both well constructed!

The Rivera has an oversized cabinet for a 1-12 and sounded a little bigger on the cleans. A lot of nice dirt too. The 6L6's have their own unique presence and bite. The EL84's in the Express just squeal so nicely. I'll have a Mesa sooner or later.

Thanks again to all who weighed in over the last few months.

Pinelake said:
Trust me... this was a hard decision. I told the guy at the music store that I felt like I had to chose between Jessica Simpson and Cameron Diaz. Both hot numbers just different models. Both well constructed!

Oh, Jessica Simpson all the way.......my opinion is based solely on curves.... :D

Yes, Jessica has more curves than the Rivera. As for Carmeron... I'd open the door for her and turn down the covers, being the gentleman I am! Gotta watch those germs.
8)

Back