Amp making "chirping" noises

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zakk615

Reaction score
My nomad 45 recently started making this high pitched chirping noises. The only way I could describe the sound is like popcorn popping, but with chirps instead of pops. I guess it may be an indication for a tube change, but last time I had to change tubes, it did not exhibit this problem.

The amp still sounds good, despite the annoying chirps, so I'm thinking it may not be the tubes that are causing this problem.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

Sounds like you have a preamp tube on the verge of microphonic-ing?? If you have those metal covers over the preamp tubes remove them, turn on you amp and let it warm up a minute or two, turn up the amp a bit and then take a pencil and tap each tube with the eraser. Chances are you'll find one that chirps when you hit it or pops louder than the others.... Don't stop at the first one you find, there may be more than one. Try that to check your tubes. I usually just replace the one that goes bad.. I've got a Deluxe reverb that I haven't change preamp tube in for about 10 years, so they last a long time.

Or maybe you have a bird popping pop corn in your amp? :shock: Dooh!!

You may want to check to see if you have a cell phone on you or near the amp. I had a similar sound and would get it on a solid state amp, as well. I turned off my cell phone or left it in another room and I never had that problem again. It's worth a try!!!! Or maybe your amp is saying, "Feed me, Seymour!" Don't turn your back on it! :D

Ok, I'll check the preamp tubes then. Thanks! Hopefully it's just a bad 12ax7.

It's not my cell phone cause I usually carry it in my pocket all the time, and this issue has been only going on for a few days. But I know what you're talking about, whenever a call comes in, the amp picks up weird signals when it is by the amp.

Latest posts

Back