Am I the only guy who likes the Stiletto Stage 1?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 'bias mod' that Trev57 did (and liked the sound improvement of) does nothing to any of the pre-amp sounds (tite gain etc, etc.) it changes the sound of the output stage (very much for the better).

It is the Stage-2 (or Hollywood mods) that change pre-amp sounds (gain).

Charles

screamingdaisy said:
cocafan33 said:
does the "stiletto/traditional" mesa cab have V30s?

Yes. But it's usually said that the Stiletto (amp) sounds better with the Recto cabs as the Recto cabs are smoother/less present than the Stiletto cabs.

That said, I've always wanted to try a Stiletto with G12Ms. Considering the Stiletto's heritage they seem like a more appropriate choice.

screamingdaisy, I'd say your right on about the G12Ms being a better speaker choice for the Stiletto amps.
I have two Recto 2X12s. One cabinet still has the V30s, the other has vintage Greenback inspired Scumback M75s.
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/m_series.html
My V30 loaded cabinet has basically become a big a$$ coaster to set my beer on while play through the Scumbacks.
Every once in a while I still like to A/B the two cabinets to remind myself. I did it just yesterday and yeah the Greenbacks are the way to go.

Paulie said:
I have an unmodded stage I and am very happy with it. Sometimes I use an EQ in the loop and sometimes I just go straight up with it (mostly depends on the room). Not only does tube swapping make a noticeable difference in the tone, I've also found that my Deuce is more sensitive to speaker cab changes as well. The character (IMHO) changes more when bouncing between V30's, G12T-75's, and the C-90's (been liking the C90's best lately, but my ear changes to the cabs every 6 months or so).

Anyway, based on what I understand the mod to do to the stage I, I've decided that I'm happy without it. We do classic rock & pop (70's through 90's).

I'm running a stg1 trident with the HW mod through an orange ppc212 cab with the V30s it sounds amazing!

I run my Stiletto through a Cornford cab wit 2 x V30's. They are bright generally, and I am sure they contrubuted to my dislike of the Stiletto sound in the first place. I have used this cab for some time with other amps including Cornford Mk50 II, Mesa Roadster, Mesa Rectoverb, Mesa Mk V and Marshall 4210. I always liked the sound of the cab with those amps. It is only since doing the bias mod that I have found the sound with the Stiletto. It literally woke it up! I have not yet had a chance to get it into a live band situation (frustratingly) but just playing around at home, I have no more interest in the Hollywood mod because it might spoil the amp. I believe the Hollywood mod (and probably the Stage 2) were Mesa's response to rectifier guys trying to get their sound out of a Stiletto. They basically bowed to the pressure of their mass market and in the process, probably shot themselves in the foot. As it stands, my amp through Vintage 30s sounds great. I am on the lookout for another 2x12 so I can try some other speakers.

Wow...great responses and opinions...thanks to everyone. Well I had an opportunity to "upgrade" the Stilleto Deuce Stage 1 to a Trident Stage 2 as a trade plus $200 cash. So I arrrange a trial swap. OMG. OMFG. It sounds unreal. I really liked my Stage 1 Deuce as I was mainly a Clean Channel w/pedals guy anyway. But the clean on the Trident Stage 2 sounds better. More sparkle. The Tite Gain setting on Channel 2 is incredible. Done deal. I couldn't be happier AND I have an extra 50w of clean headroom.

Ahh death of a post

Cheers

Latest posts

Back