Am I risking blwoing my speaker?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ketiov

Reaction score
I recently tuned my guitar down to C Standard, and I'm wondering if the bass could blow the EVM 12L in the Thiele I built. I tend to boost the bass on my Mark IV kind of high.

I plan on building a 115 Thiele soon anyway to get better bottom end, but I wanna check if it's alright to use the 112.

I ran a walkabout through my thiele without any trouble...

however, I have heard the 12L can take only about 100w below 100hz. So either way you're fine.

For some reason I'm noticing my 12L farting a lot. It isn't consistent though, which is weird. I'll hit certain notes and I hear this weird hiss coming from the speaker.

But, I'm thinking maybe it's not the speaker, but a tube, because there's this weird thing going on. My Mark IV hums a bit, then sometimes stops for a bit, then continues. If I give it a good whack on top, the humming will stop. I also noticed that when I tap my guitar the right way, the humming stops until I start playing again. I think the tapping works because the amp was on top of a thiele, but now I moved it off the thiele so I'll see if the magic tap still works.

ketiov said:
For some reason I'm noticing my 12L farting a lot. It isn't consistent though, which is weird. I'll hit certain notes and I hear this weird hiss coming from the speaker.

Could be filter caps.How old is the amp?

stokes said:
ketiov said:

Could be filter caps.How old is the amp?
I just had Mesa look over it this summer, and I told them I thought something was wrong with the caps, so they should have gone over them. It is mostly low notes that cause the hiss though.

I've done a couple of amps that Mesa said "did not need new caps",in each case Mesa was wrong.Now,I aint saying you definately need new caps since I havent seen/heard your amp,but the symptoms you describe certainly sound like new caps would tighten it up.Again,how old is your amp?

stokes said:
I've done a couple of amps that Mesa said "did not need new caps",in each case Mesa was wrong.Now,I aint saying you definately need new caps since I havent seen/heard your amp,but the symptoms you describe certainly sound like new caps would tighten it up.Again,how old is your amp?

August of 1991, so pretty old.

I should also mention that to my ears it sounds like the hissing is coming only from the Thiele speaker. The combo speaker seems to be working fine.

In my experience,new caps will be a marked improvement,assuming they are original.

stokes said:
In my experience,new caps will be a marked improvement,assuming they are original.
They probably are, seeing as Mesa didn't have any record of this amp coming in for service. It's Mark IV #352.

Latest posts

Back