Am I crazy for wanting to down-grade??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
I've been contiplating getting a lesser Boogie (not tone wise, but feature wise). I'd really like to trade for a Roadster 1x12, but I've even thought about going back a couple of generations to the Tremoverb (which I've had in the past).

I'm REALLY wanting, GASsin', for a new DR. Z amp for a clean tone that I can't find anywhere except in a Dr. Z. I even took home a Lonestar classic praying that I'd find it and didn't find the tone I wanted. Then I heard a Dr. Z RX-ES and the Stang Ray both and I found the clean tone I've been looking for. But I don't want to loose the Rectifier tone that I've found I can't live without and I really loved my Tremoverbs. Ideally I'd like to keep my RK and get a Dr Z, but my $$ isn't gonna allow that for at least a year, so the Road King would have to go to get the Dr. Z and my newly aquired AC30cc would have to go to get a Tremoverb or Roadster 1x12 (which I'd rather have).

Have I gone completely nuts??!?!?!

nope.. sometimes I fiddle with the idea of offing the recto, but I always end up keeping it for the recto sound and just buying more **** I can't afford :p

Try a Rivera for some really sweet cleans. I have two Boogies, (Recto-Verb head and a Nomad) 45 and two Rivera's (Knucklehead 55 head and a Jake combo.) I love 'em all.

I tried a couple of Rivera amps, nice amps, but the cleans are too "fenderish" for the tone I'm looking for....I have a 1970 Deluxe for Fender cleans if thats the route I want to go. I'm looking for that Brad Paisley Dr. Z chime (like this: http://www.drzamps.com/sounds/stingray/basic_stingray.mp3 ) . And I've already had a couple of Tremoverbs and I know I love them.

I may reconsider in a few days or weeks and decide to keep what I have, but I'm really wanting that clean tone of the Stang Ray or RX-ES.

Thanks for the info anyways.

Your subject line: Am I crazy for wanting to down-grade??

Nope, you are not down grading just because your taste and curiosity of an amps have less features.

You are going for more specialize tones. Like your purchase of your AC30 Vox.

So supplement your current job with another job like newspaper route, or push burgers for your addiction -er I mean to purchase more amps.

Just surrender, there's no cure for our -er I mean your disorder. :lol:

tele_jas said:
I tried a couple of Rivera amps, nice amps, but the cleans are too "fenderish" for the tone I'm looking for....I have a 1970 Deluxe for Fender cleans if thats the route I want to go. I'm looking for that Brad Paisley Dr. Z chime (like this: http://www.drzamps.com/sounds/stingray/basic_stingray.mp3 ) . And I've already had a couple of Tremoverbs and I know I love them.

I may reconsider in a few days or weeks and decide to keep what I have, but I'm really wanting that clean tone of the Stang Ray or RX-ES.

Thanks for the info anyways.

Wow! That Stingray sounds incredible! :wink: Thats the type of tone I like for cleans as well!

The RX-ES is a sweet amp but you already have a Vox AC30 so the Ray may be a different flavor?

PS catch up! :D

That sounds a lot like a LSS with the rear pickup coil tapped. Presumably you already thought of that one as well as the LSC?

Allright.. I've decided to hang on to my Road King!!

I tried a Tremoverb..... and even though it's a GREAT amp, it doesn't have the versatility that I need in my band (even with A/B-ing it with another amp). The only amp I'd trade for would be a RK head/cab set up or a Roadster 1x12 or head/cab setup.

As for the Dr. Z...... I think I'll be smart, for once in my life, and SAVE my money and get it when I have the funds available or I find one at a good price. If it means selling the AC30cc, then I'll do it, but hopefully I can keep it too (It's a cool little amp).

I guess this just proves that I'm really CRAZY :shock: :? :?: :roll: :lol:

Great choice.. I hated having to sell gear to get gear, now I'm finally comfortable enough job wise that I can just save a bit and buy stuff without having to off gear. If I could get all the amps I used to own back I would in a heartbeat, especially my Rivera Quiana and Fender Deluxe Reverb :(

Latest posts

Back