alternative footswitch for Quad preamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frood

Reaction score
I've just picked up a Quad preamp, but it does not have its footswitch, which would obviously be useful. does anyone know of any alternatives, or if it easy to find a replacement?

For some reason my original footswitch gives all lights on when I try use it. It could be the cable.

Instead I use a Wah pedal plugged into the selected channel and the left side input of the Wah. When you step on the Wah it will engage the channel.

I can't select between channels so easy but it works.

Not sure how "safe" it is, but I can plug my mark 4 footswitch into the quad's footswitch jack, and it works fine. The labels aren't correct, though.

I believe my quad takes the F-2A, or whichever has the same number of pins as a Mark IV footswitch cable.

Any shorted jack/ cable will work for the "ext switching" jacks.

cool, thanks for the info guys. i figured i could switch the individual channels just with the simple one-button switch from my Caliber, but it would be nice to have access to all of them.

this guy's setup sounds really good, but i'm not ready to shell out for some midi switching system quite yet.
http://guiguijones.free.fr/Electronique%20&%20Bouine/electronique/Schema%20Amplis%20Effets%20etc/Amplis/Mesa%20Boogie/quad.htm

You can get and RockMan midi octopuss or mini amp Gizmo and use a midifoot switch to control the Quad preamp or order a custom footswitch

sounds a bit pricey. i'm gonna hold out for a an FU-2A or FU-3 on ebay (fingers crossed!). at the moment i'm using a planet waves circuit breaker cable which does the job, though obviously i can't switch between channels. the Caliber footswitch doesn't work because, i'm guessing, it's momentary not latching.

I bought some latching switches on ebay, and made a simple footswitch with an led and a resistor to dim the led. It was cheap and easy.

My FU-2 stopped changing channels, and I suspect it's my Quad's opticouplers (sp?). Finding a proper 4 pin xlr cable is rough too. Most are only 2 conductor for stage lighting.

I've been thinking about doing the same. It doesn't seem too difficult or expensive to make. However, if I 'latch' two of the channels at the same time then they both sound at once, which could be cool (lead 1 and lead 2 sounds pretty amazing) but in a live situation it will be a pain in the arse and require tap dancing to switch one channel off (un-latch it) and switch another one on.

how did you get round that problem?

Latest posts

Back