Alternate Tubes in the Blue Angel.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicbox

Reaction score
So now that we've all tried the 6L6 in our blue angels and loved it, what about variants? Would it be possible to run it off kt66/kt88? Or any other tube? Or is it strictly a 6v6/6L6 swap?

no one has a clue eh? i know the kt88 wouldnt fit because its not a 6l6 variant, but the kt66 MIGHT, i just have no clue if the trany can support the heater draw and whatnot...runs a little hotter than a 6l6.

I'd call Mesa and ask them. I would think no way on the KT88 and I'd be leary of the KT66.

If 6L6GC's will work, that's cool, but a KT66 and KT88 will have a larger heater current draw per tube. Like you said, the power transformer might not be able to support those tubes when you throw the heater current draw into the equation.

Then, when you look at the Cathode Current levels, a KT66 and KT88 will be a lot higher in this area as well. That particular circuit may not be suited to handle that type of activity.

So, I'm saying no.

Dale

Latest posts

Back