Alnico Blues or Greenbacks with an LSS?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve73

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I searched this topic and read a bit on it but interested to hear some more opinions on this. I recently bought an unloaded open back 2x12 cab and I have narrowed down my potential speakers to Alnico Blues or Greenbacks for an LSS head. I have the Boogie 4x10 cab (which I am keeping) and love it but I want something different tonally. I will probably be using a variety of heads with it in the future also (Vox AC30 and Marshall Jtm). Thanks!

I remember seeing a couple threads on here around this topic with many suggestions. Try a search and see what comes up...

I think someone here is running Celestion Golds in their 2x12" combo with good results, though a lot of folks come back to the stock C90s as well. Mesa did a lot of testing of speakers, including different Alnicos, and ultimately shipped the C90, so take a look at that if you haven't considered it yet.

Definitely, most positively go alnico route. Preferably golds over blues. The pairing with the LSS is like a warm handshake.

Tohn

I'd buy an American Eminence before I bought a Chinese Celestion if I had the choice again.

I can adjust.

Murph.

Mesa's Celestions are not made in China.

But most of the other ones are. I think the Heritage Series and the Alnicos are still made in England, but I could be wrong.

I've had quite a few (8) Heritage 30's that came in some Avatar cabs that I used to have. They sounded very good, but I'm at the point where I won't use anything Chinese that I don't have to.

It has nothing to do with Tibbett, and everything to do with the state of our economy and out-sourcing.

Mojotone, Eminence, or Weber are the still made here. Mesa Celestions are still English, like they ought to be.

I am really curious about the Red Fang too. I just bought an LSC 1x12 that has a Celestion Gold in it. The speaker is only rated for 50 watts and it's a 100 watt amp. :lol: Bet it doesn't last too long. :lol:

I keep thinking about an EVM, but then I realize that it's 100 watts and a little breakup might be nice. Damnit, now I'm confusing myself.

Thanks for the ideas guys, some great stuff. I have been looking into the Eminence now as well.

Anyone ever tried Scumbacks with a Boogie LSS?

http://www.southbayampworks.com/speakers.html

... how about one of each? I've tried pairing up different speakers together as I heard others have done and it opens up the sound .. gives it something extra ... its fuller ...

I tried Blue Dogs, Silver Bell, Tone Tubbies (all alnicos) and wound up with Golds in my LSS 1x12 and 1x12 cab-- the most 3D, best sound for my taste.

Also RE: Celestion and China, Rick Skillman, North American rep for Celestion chimed in on this awhile back and said that ALL Heritage speakers, Blues, Golds,Centurys and of course MESA's are made in England.

I put Golds in my 2x12 and love the difference. Greater seperation, clear tones, and volume. The **** thing breathes! It's alive.

:D So far, I'm really loving the speaker. It started making ugly noises with the 6L6's in the amp, but I have a set of Chinese 6V6 Blackplate clones in there right now and it is sounding very sweet to my ears.

If I decide to use 6L6's, I will most likely change the speaker though.

Mick said:
Also RE: Celestion and China, Rick Skillman, North American rep for Celestion chimed in on this awhile back and said that ALL Heritage speakers, Blues, Golds,Centurys and of course MESA's are made in England.

Not quite, the Blues in the current China VOX amp are made in China.

Of course my LSS 2X12 with 30-35 watts max has more room to operate than a LSC 1X12 with 50-100 watts.

boogieman90 said:
Of course my LSS 2X12 with 30-35 watts max has more room to operate than a LSC 1X12 with 50-100 watts.
Did you audition the Blue before going for the Gold? I'm think of getting a 2x12 cab w/ either ones. Not sure which way to go yet

I didn't test the blue. I wanted the extra room with the 50 watts x2 instead of 15x2. My thinking was this would give me more margin for error and or safety. I did listen to the blues intently in a Vox Brian May model and they were great. I do think I like the Golds better, but not by much.

Latest posts

Back