AIC Check my brain tones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep Bogner.

Jerry has used Bogner modified Marshalls for a long time and recently have been using Uberschalls and he always has his G&L Rampage guitars. He actually has a signature model now.

i've been listening to the new album a lot the past couple days and the heavy, distorted tones sound somewhat similar to a recto/6L6 amp. pretty **** good song-writing. him and david gilmour say a lot with fewer notes for the leads, pretty cool.

The new album does sound good!! Typical HEAVY Jerry tones;there's a good interview with him in the new Guitar World.

+1 on fewer notes...less notes but more soul!!! Sounds like he'll be saying more in the future.

Who knows what he used in the Studio but here's some shots of the current live rig, Ubershall and Alchemist and some previous live rigs.

http://marshallampforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16570&p=130220&hilit=cantrell#p130220

Monster tone live. Saw them in May. They opened with Rain when I Die and my little brother and I just looked at each other for a second, with the hair on the back of our necks standing up. One of the best tones I've heard live.

rabies said:
i've been listening to the new album a lot the past couple days and the heavy, distorted tones sound somewhat similar to a recto/6L6 amp. pretty **** good song-writing. him and david gilmour say a lot with fewer notes for the leads, pretty cool.

I agree that it certainly sounds very Recto-esque (huge, thick tone). It's definitely a Bogner though:

Rig rundown:
http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/20090929/816/Rig_Rundown_Alice_in_Chains_Jerry_Cantrell.aspx

He's started to show quite a bit of age...

If it's an Uberschall, that's EL34 based. But the recording sounds more 6L6 based. What's up? A lot of bands mix amps for the same track (like Tool: Rivera, Mesa, Marshall on 10000 days recording) so it's hard to tell. Maybe Cantrell used a Recto for the lower frequencies and the Uberschall and/or Marshall for mid/hi frequencies?

Are Bogner's decently priced (less than $2k) in the used market (I'm not talking Alchemist MIC) and how reliable are they?

Also, do they go below 50 watts like my Rivera S120 (8 watts lowest).

Bogner has all types of power configs now days from the Mini Bogner to the Uber, and their service is along the same lines as Mesa for the custom shop stuff. Don't know what types of tranny's but I can tell you that they are some really good straight forward amps that show every nuance of your playing and are very touch sensitive. The only downside is they are kind of picky about cabs and what you throw in the loop. +1 on the Marsha from Dave Freidman.

Jerry used a ton of gear on this record...so much so that even he's not really sure what ended up getting used on each song. Currently live it's a KT88 loaded Shiva and a Dave Friedman Marsha.

MusicManJP6 said:
rabies said:

I agree that it certainly sounds very Recto-esque (huge, thick tone). It's definitely a Bogner though:

Rig rundown:
http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/20090929/816/Rig_Rundown_Alice_in_Chains_Jerry_Cantrell.aspx

He's started to show quite a bit of age...
That was cool :D

There was an interview with the engineer of the album who said they used so many amps...Marshall, Bogner, Vox, HiWatt, etc...that he has no idea what amps ended up being on what songs, he just knows there's a lot of amps in the mix.

Could be he used an Uberschall with KT88s. Twin Jets are loaded with KT88s stock, but regular Uberschalls are EL34 based. To put the KT88s in a regular Uber you'd need to do a mod, but maybe they did. At any rate, I can get Check My Brain tones pretty easily with the Twin Jet and a Les Paul. With the Twin Jet, I turn master presence and depth all the way off, then turn channel presence up to 1 - 2:00. Uberschall channel presence is actually a low midrange cut, and that's what it sounds like on the album to me.

IMO, Jerry's tone is hit or miss on the albums. The new album sounds pretty good on most tracks, but my favorite AIC tone by far is Facelift. Specifically, Man in the Box, Love Hate Love, and Real Thing. Sounds like a Bogner modded Marshall, but I get close with my 101b.

fishyfishfish said:
Don't know what types of tranny's but I can tell you that they are some really good straight forward amps that show every nuance of your playing and are very touch sensitive. The only downside is they are kind of picky about cabs and what you throw in the loop.
+1! But when you get the cabs right, you stop buying other amps!

Its a Bogner Fish through a Mesa 2:90.....kind of explains a bit. Bogner, but with a thicker 6L6 flavor.

Facelift was all modified Marshalls, and he only got the Fish when it was time for the album tour, as the Fish wasn't even out until 1991. The recording of Facelift began in December of 1989.

fluff191 said:
Facelift was all modified Marshalls, and he only got the Fish when it was time for the album tour, as the Fish wasn't even out until 1991. The recording of Facelift began in December of 1989.

I think we are talking about now, not then. There are quite a few pics of his current rig and some interviews with studio info for the latest disk. Plug a G&L Rampage with a JB in the bridge into the Fish, plug the Fish into 2:90, mic the 4x12, hit record = "Check My Brain"

Oh gotcha.

Yeah I know William is using his original one from back in the day as well. MAN thats a pricey piece of gear!

Just saw them back when they played in Chicago. While I hate the Aragon (because it is an acoustical nightmare for live rock shows), Jerry and the rest of the band were simply awesome. He really had a killer live tone.

Latest posts

Back