Advice On Chorus Pedal - Specific Sound In Mind

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty Rhodes

Reaction score
I'm looking for a Chorus pedal which can nail or come VERY close to the Roland Jazz Chorus amps effect. I've tried the Boss pedals thinking that they would be a slam-dunk given the Roland association but no dice. Odd......Stereo is not necessary since I'm running mono. Heard a lot of good things about the MXR Micro Chorus....Suggestions?

Thanks,

I have an old Boss CE-2 that is very thick, warm, and analog sounding. I also have a TC Electronic SCF chorus that is very digital clean and pristine sounding. I don't know too much about that amp but if you find out if the chorus is digital or analog it will be a good place to start. The CE-2 is really nice.

I think you will have a hard time replicating the sound of a JC-120 with a mono chorus pedal. The chorus on a JC-120 is stereo.

Turumbar82 said:
I think you will have a hard time replicating the sound of a JC-120 with a mono chorus pedal. The chorus on a JC-120 is stereo.

Ah....good point. So how will a stereo pedal work with a mono amp like my Stiletto Ace Combo?

it's always best, to chose a pedal to match the application.

for a mono pedal, guitar player mag just this month, gave an editors choice award to an MXR mini chorus, you might want to find out about that one...

gonzo said:
it's always best, to chose a pedal to match the application.

for a mono pedal, guitar player mag just this month, gave an editors choice award to an MXR mini chorus, you might want to find out about that one...

Yep....I've been thinking the same thing. Thanks much.

FWIW- the Eventide Modfactor is very capable in the modulation business (and it should be because it is pretty spendy...) but it can get you anywhere you want to go if you spend time with it. It has mono and stereo ins and outs, so when you are ready to go stereo- its ready. Plus it can do a whole lot more.......but, if you are looking to reproduce a specific modulation- police, rush, floyd, van halen....there are plenty of banks for different patches....
my $.02

Laskyman said:
FWIW- the Eventide Modfactor is very capable in the modulation business (and it should be because it is pretty spendy...) but it can get you anywhere you want to go if you spend time with it. It has mono and stereo ins and outs, so when you are ready to go stereo- its ready. Plus it can do a whole lot more.......but, if you are looking to reproduce a specific modulation- police, rush, floyd, van halen....there are plenty of banks for different patches....
my $.02

Interesting. I will have a look at that. It just needs to have lots of depth. That's what I liked so much about the Roland JC amps. Killer Chorus. The Boss pedals fell very short of that mark IMO. Thanks for the input....

Check out the youtube vids (PGS in particular) of the HBE Three Hound Chorus. It may fit the bill for you. I adore mine.

Latest posts

Back