Advice Needed?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zakkinc

Reaction score
Okay, so I have a Mark IIC+ Head (60/100 watt) version (also with EQ & Reverb), I'm contemplating whether I should have it modded to Simul Class. Reason being, I'm looking to achieve a smoother/warmer tone, I use it for a Metal tone, but still would like a smooth tone at the same time.

It's all stock so I am hesitant in moding it....

I also have a Mark III Blue Stripe Head (also with EQ & Reverb) but this one is the Simul Class version...so....

What I was thinking is, is it possible to run my IIC+ into my III Simul Class to achieve that smooth Simul Class C+ tone?

This can avoid me having to mod my stock C+, if this does work, how close will it be to a C+ modded to Simul Class?

I would leave it alone. Honestly.

You could slave your C+ into the return jack of your III's FX loop to use its power section if you want.

When I took apart my C+ to have a look around, based on the "C+ Guide" that's posted in this forum (http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=18184&highlight=guide) my C+ has the 105 power transformer in it. Based on the codes on the chasis of my C+ it's a 60/100 watt version...

So if I were to use the slave feature, I slave out the C+ into the FX of my III? Would I then be getting C+ pre-amp plus III power amp & pre amp or just III power amp?

zakkinc said:
When I took apart my C+ to have a look around, based on the "C+ Guide" that's posted in this forum (http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=18184&highlight=guide) my C+ has the 105 power transformer in it. Based on the codes on the chasis of my C+ it's a 60/100 watt version...

So if I were to use the slave feature, I slave out the C+ into the FX of my III? Would I then be getting C+ pre-amp plus III power amp & pre amp or just III power amp?

You would be getting the C+ pre/power and the III power. You still need to have a load on your C+. Your III would be fed a C+ preamp signal and use its power amp as well.

Thanks, so will this allow me to use the Simul Class feature of my III then? Do you think it'll sound similar enough to a C+ Simul Class version?

zakkinc said:
Thanks, so will this allow me to use the Simul Class feature of my III then? Do you think it'll sound similar enough to a C+ Simul Class version?

Simply put, no. I did the same thing with my 60/100 into my Mark IV and it wasn't the same thing. It will be different but not the same thing.

There are things you can do to tame the 60/100. I've heard running the speaker in the 4ohm tap simulates the simul class tone but I've never done it. Hopefully someone will chime in to confirm that.

I can try that. My C+ has an 8 ohm and two 4 ohm speaker outputs.

My recto cab has an 8 ohm and two 4 ohm inputs.

Would I use two wires, each going from a 4 ohm out of my amp into my cab?

Or how exactly would that be done? Thanks for the tips!

zakkinc said:
I can try that. My C+ has an 8 ohm and two 4 ohm speaker outputs.

My recto cab has an 8 ohm and two 4 ohm inputs.

Would I use two wires, each going from a 4 ohm out of my amp into my cab?

Or how exactly would that be done? Thanks for the tips!

You would simply run the 8ohm cab into the 4 ohm jack, that's all. One cable. Note this eats through tubes faster.

Platypus said:
zakkinc said:

Simply put, no. I did the same thing with my 60/100 into my Mark IV and it wasn't the same thing. It will be different but not the same thing.

There are things you can do to tame the 60/100. I've heard running the speaker in the 4ohm tap simulates the simul class tone but I've never done it. Hopefully someone will chime in to confirm that.

Switch your amp to 100 watt and plug your 8 ohm speaker in the 4 ohm tap. It will smoothen the tone and will get closer to the Simul-class sound.
Regards

Latest posts

Back