advice for my already started christmas list / wish list!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalhead51105

Reaction score
hey guys now that stores are playing christmas music and its getting cold i figured it was time to develop a wish list for myself.
currently i own the following equipment:

guitar: gibson les paul vintage mahogany
amp: dual rectifier
cab: marshall 1960b

now my wish list / desired setup would include:
Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer - $170
Korg DTR 1000 Tuner - $180
Rack unit 4-6- $100-$200
Furman M-8L Power Conditioner - $85
TC Electronic G Major - $400
morely mark tremonti wah- $119

obviously i want as little on the ground as possible

now my first question is if i have a budget of about $300-$500 for now and i want those particular items shown, and suppose i want to buy everything new just to avoid underestimating prices, which items should be at the top of my list assuming i cant have it all unless i get some killer deals or shop used, ebay, etc?

my second question is when i do get the od to run in front of my dual rec, what is the best noise gate to use? ive heard noise suppressors don't do the trick as well when OD-ing a DR with a TS-808. is this correct? also would i need a noise suppressor/gate if i got the G Major?

my last question is about a rack case and i know that this question has been asked several times. i need a 4-6 space rack case that i would be putting either on top or below my head to house the future power conditioner, tuner, and g-major. ideally, it would be nice to put the OD and noise gate in as well to keep things organized. ive heard good things about brands such as gator, ata, and skb. but im looking for bang for the buck so that it isnt years or decades before this poor college kid can have everything he wants in his rack. long story short id like to be able to fit it all in a four space but maybe a 6 may be necessary just in case i expand later?

anyway any advice, opinions, suggestions, or comments about anything ive asked or thought would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have much advice as to what should be your top-priority due to the fact that i think that is up to you. What do you want most? You want that OD out front, or do you want that Effects Processor?

I do not have any experience with running the OD and a Noise Gate, but i do own the ISP Noise Decimator and love that pedal.

Also for the Christmas mood i picked up some Trans Siberian Orchestra tonight. :)

what effects do you need first? if i were you, i would get the wah first.. most bang for your buck right there.. then i'd probably go G Major --> Rack --> Furman --> DTR 1000 --> TS808... i would get the TS808 and DTR 1000 last since you can get by with a normal tuner for awhile and the wah will give you a boost option when you use it. you could fiddle around with the G Major at home even before you get the rack case..

are you going to get a foot controller for the g major?

ok so update cause i realized i was a bit vague. I understand the final decision is really up to me but let me start by saying that i'm decently happy with my sound and my tone and i am also a gigging musician. at the moment i dont use anything but guitar into my DR. so really my question is which package will be best for my needs in EVERYONES opinion from their experience cause i can;t get it all at once.

option 1:
6 space rack case
Furman P8-L Power Conditioner
Korg DTR 1000 Tuner

Option 2:
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Morely Mark Tremonti Power Wah

basically should i start my rack setup first or start with the pedals.
on the one hand i want rack and im happy with my tone as is, but on the other some would consider running a dual rec without a OD and noise gate behind it the only way to do things.
i will say though all of such things will be in my rig eventually, just based on my needs what do you guys think is best. on a side note the g major and midi are going to have to wait for now its just not in the budget.

With those 2 combos in mind, i would be taking the OD, Wah, Noise Suppressor all day long. I know you are happy with your tone now, but that adds all the more options to it. It is just my opinion of course but i would wait on the rack equipment until i had the major make up for the rack.

option 2 as it will actually provide you with sounds. Although i might rethink the choice of pedals, but thats just a personal preference

The world will be really better if we make giving lists instead receiving lists !We already have enough.
Give some blankets to homeless people,better spend some WORDS to them,you will feel many times better.
We spend our lifes making money to buy things,just it !!!
We are robots of the system .

Life is more important than everything.
If your neighbour is good you will be too.
People just don't understand that. :cry:

Hey, I want a DD20 and a Zvex SHO but that doesn't make me a bad person.

Of course, I'm not getting **** for christmas. Heh.

18&Life said:
The world will be really better if we make giving lists instead receiving lists !We already have enough.
Give some blankets to homeless people,better spend some WORDS to them,you will feel many times better.
We spend our lifes making money to buy things,just it !!!
We are robots of the system .

Life is more important than everything.
If your neighbour is good you will be too.
People just don't understand that. :cry:

WOW you really do make up for all the talk about you.

What gear do you have....you can brag here

now go back to your comment.

how much of your cash are you giving this christmas? if i were to guess.....NONE.

I give to the people around me in money, housing and words.

Just cause I have a "wish" list makes me a bad person?

for christmas music check out gary hoey's christmas collection! one of my favorite "guitar" christmas albums.

I gotta go with option 2. A rack case with a bunch of empty spaces isn't too satisfying. You'll get some new sounds and I think you'll be happier. Don't waste too much effort responding to 18 & Life. What's the point?

JamesD said:
With those 2 combos in mind, i would be taking the OD, Wah, Noise Suppressor all day long. I know you are happy with your tone now, but that adds all the more options to it. It is just my opinion of course but i would wait on the rack equipment until i had the major make up for the rack.

The tube screamer adds to the tone pallet without sucking tone and wah's just rock. Of the OD's I've tried the TS808 works great with the DR and is very quiet at louder volumes. The OCD and ZW OD seemed to be a little squeally.

You see a lot of guys that get the G-Major having to take the time to tweak them to get the sounds they want. Not quite plug and play but digestable with the DR. Option 2 is affordable based on your budget and I thought the G-Majors were a lot more expensive than 400 bucks.

pjrake said:
for christmas music check out gary hoey's christmas collection! one of my favorite "guitar" christmas albums.

Check out Neil Zaza's One Silent Night volumes 1 & 2 ( www.neilzaza.com)

Hey Metalhead, I have a Grundorf 6 space rack case I can sell you. It is not a new one but it is is great condition. No tears in the carpet. If interested, let me know, maybe I can help you save a couple of bucks. I was just about to put this up on Craigslist.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back