Acoustic through the clean of Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctoddrun

Reaction score
For some reason, I have this deep seeded thought in my head that its very unwise to run an acoustic guitar through and electric guitar amp.

I cant recall if I read that somewhere or just heard it like some "old wives tale".

Anyway, the second guitarist in the band wants to do Show Me The Way and I'll take the acoustic part.

I have a whole Yamaha preamp and a set up to run straight to the PA. Thing is, we're just a hobby band and I really dont like hauling alllllll of my equipment out for Friday night jams.

He mentioned just running the acoustic through the clean channel, but I'm wary.

Any thoughts?

Electric guitar amps just do not have the wider frequency response required for acoustic guitar.
I tried once going through possibly the cleanest amp around, JC120, and it sounded so shrill, with no life.
Your Yamaha preamp is an outboard device, right? Have you considered a DI box[/i]

theres nothing unwise about it, its just that as mentioned before it can be hard to get a good sound out of, but thats subjective. Ive heard some decent sounds come through elec amps before w/ acous guitars, so why not just try it out and see what happens?

The Yamaha preamp is an outboard pre. It goes, via XLR into the PA.

I so rarely use the acoustic that I've yet to dial in a tone I really dig (sheer laziness, I assure you).

I may go ahead and plug into the IV. I just was looking for some sort of confirmation about potential problems BEFORE I fried it.

Latest posts

Back