Acoustic Strings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highwaynine

Reaction score
What kind of strings do you recommend for acoustic guitar? I'm going to be using 10's (very light), because my hand is stupid and I'll squeeze my electric strings too hard if I'm used to heavier acoustic strings.

I've used bronze D'addarios for years and years. They're not the best sounding strings I've tried, but I sometimes go a long time between changes, and they seem to hold what tone they do have longer than the (few) others I've tried.

So if you don't mind telling me what you like to use, and why you like them, much appreciated.

I looove Black Diamond for acoustic and mandolin-they have coated strings as well, but I personally hate coated strings-they are "dedicated" acoustic string makers and they are fantastic..maybe hard to find at your local stores

Thanks for the input guys, and feel free to keep it coming. (The Boogie Board Rocks! 8) )

So far, Elixer is the obvious winner...but what's the difference between Nanoweb and Polyweb?

Nanoweb is a much thinner coating - almost invisible, and Polyweb is a much thicker coating that dulls the sound a bit.

The Polywebs use a brighter brass style of string underneath which seems to compensate for the dulling effect of the coating. But, I still prefer the PB Nanowebs.

BTW, between each set of Elixers, I string with d'Addarios, just to prove to myself that the coated strings are worth it. And, each time, I keep coming back ot the Nanowebs!

LesterPaul & Rocky, what is it about the Black Diamonds & Cleartones you like? The sound? Or are longevity or feel also a factor?

BD has tone for days-I play a lot with other acoustic cats and I feel the BD strings really shine-good volume..nice bite-I play big ones and tune down 1/2 step, and live volume can be compromised somewhat-I think that string life is very subjective...for me, I change strings a lot, so longevity is not a factor for me-their coated strings are nice because they are black..look cool!!but they lack overall tone/vol.etc...when compared to their uncoated strings-played em for a while...no breakage problems..they work for me, but part of the fun is trying em all out(costly, but worth it..!)

highwaynine said:
LesterPaul & Rocky, what is it about the Black Diamonds & Cleartones you like? The sound? Or are longevity or feel also a factor?

They feel like a regular string and have the life of an elixir. Brighter and louder than ELixirs too.

Wow tripped across this thread and you guys are getting me motivated to try some new strings tried different sets through the years and have pretty much settled on D’Addario and have no complaints, but there is always room to experiment and that leads to improvement! I use to love Martins on certain guitars I had they sounded awesome nice and bright but also very full, the problem there I found they went downhill very quickly, in a matter of days they started sounding dull.
That could have been me too, as a teen I use to change strings like you would change sox (you know acids in the hands and all that) glad I outgrew that! I know a person were the opposite happened as an adult he has been burning through strings like mad.

So I think I’ll try Black Diamonds since lesterpaul is so hot on them and then the Elixir which is what the masses seem to like. So I’ll go down to my local GC and whichever they have in stock that’s the one I’ll start with. So knowing my local GC I’ll come home with nothing and just end up ordering on line.

I hate Elixers...they do last long, but are absolutely dead sounding. I prefer the Dean Markley Alchemy strings. They don't last as long as the Elixers, but sound way better. They have a detailed top end and a sparkle to the sound that the coated strings simply do not have. I use Elixers on my 12 string because I am a gigging musician and my 12 string is a pain in the *** to restring. I hate their tone, but I am forced to use them or go broke. LOL!!

For reference I am using the following guitars.

1. Collings D2G with Brazillian RW back and sides and a German Spruce top.
2. Breedlove Focus 12 string with Koa back and sides and Sitka top
3. Breedlove Ed Gerhardt with IRW back and sides and Italian Spruce.

Putting Elixer on these guitars absolutely kills their tone. It sounds like someone put a blanket over them. Use the Alchemy strings once and you won't look back.

000_0122.jpg

Backresizebreedlove12.jpg

FrontBreedlove12.jpg

Breedlovefull.jpg
[/img]

6L6C said:
I use to love Martins on certain guitars I had they sounded awesome nice and bright but also very full, the problem there I found they went downhill very quickly, in a matter of days they started sounding dull.

That was my experience with Martins as well.

Went to one of my local stores this weekend, and they only had Ernie Ball, Martin, and Elixer POLYwebs, in medium. :roll:

Gotta' get to the other store sometime. And it sounds like I'm going to have a different brand for every string change for a while. You guys have some really varied tastes!

Personally use medium Martin strings...Dirt cheap, then change them out every week or two, gigging at least once a week.

+100000 on the elixirs

I've had the same set on my acoustic for 4 months. Still sound good.

I like the Phosphor Bronze version of Elixers Nanoweb acoustic strings. I think they sound a bit brighter if that is the sound you are looking for. They also have a nice sweet spot that doesn't kick in until a few days after they have been on compared to normal strings which continually degrade...IMO

Latest posts

Back