Achieving super tight chunky gain with triaxis/2:90

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecervantes

Reaction score
I would like to know which tubes you have used in your triaxis/simul 2:90 to achieve super tight chunky dark gain especially with L2 modes green and yellow. I want to do that while keeping the rhythm modes as clean as possible ( especially the green rhythm mode) .
I currently have these tubes and I am 95% happy. That other 5% is stealing my sleep, though:

Simul 2:90

- all 8 6l6's are mesa str 420 tubes (green label)
- inside the simul 2:90 I have three current production mesa 12ax7

Triaxis:
V1: Mullard ECC83
v2: RCA 5751
v3, v4 and v5: Mesa 12ax7

I use a g-force between the Triaxis and Simul 2:90 and then a Recto 2x12.

Any help would be greatly appeciate it.

A couple of thoughts outside the scope of tubes.
I use LD2 green yellow and red for high gain rhythm.
I find I get a tighter more modern high gain sound by using the compression on my TC G-Force.
I also switched to a more pointed aggressive pick which took a little time to adjust to but is proving it's worth.
I tend to use the Modern mode on the 2:90, the deep can get tubby at times when I'm looking for a focused high gain sound. Good for LD1 Recto and other clean tones though.
I run the bass on the Triaxis pretty low and bring it back with the dynamic voice.
I run my gain and LD2 drive a little higher at lower volume presets and a little lower at higher volume settings. You can set up banks for each on your midi board.
Remember Treble is an additional gain feature on Triaxis.
Hey in the end what I always tell myself is that it is in the hands and I need to work for every inch of that. It takes time and motor memory and control, control to change bad habbits and control to grow newer better ones : )
Triaxis may be a bit different than some of the newer gear but there's a Hell of allot in there to explore and it can be plenty tight in the right context and styles.
I would like to know your signal path guitar to speaker cab. Your set up.
I

My signal chain is very simple. I have two guitars, a Fender American Stratocaster and an Ibanez rg1570 that I plug directly to the Triaxis, nothing at all between the guitars and the Triaxis. I put my g force between the Triaxis and the 2:90 and then the signal goes to my mesa recto 2x12 cab. I will be getting soon a second cab so I can get a stereo setting.

I use my Strato to play blues and rock. I really like what I am getting from the rhythm and lead 1 green and yellow. The Raytheon and Mullard tubes I have in V1 and V2 (I have to thank Timbre Wolf for his past posts) of the Triaxis make these modes sound great. I combine those tubes with the compressor of the g-force sometimes. I bought the g-force mainly for the delays and reverbs but I have been very happy with the compressor, especially with the rhythm modes when I arpegiate clean chords.

When I play metal I plug my Ibanez rg1570 in the Triaxis. I also use the modern switch on the 2:90 quite often to play on the lead 2 modes. I think the results I am getting are good and the sound is quite tight. However, I still the gain is still a bit pointy. I have been tweaking the middles and dynamic voice settings in the Triaxis and also trying tubes in the v4 position in the triaxis and all three tubes in the 2:90. I would like a tube that can get the same amount of gain than a mesa 12ax7 but that is not as pointy, just a little bit scopped in the mids. The trick is to do that without ruin the sounds I am getting from the rhythm and lead 1 modes. I was hoping to get some advice on some tubes that would help with that. I also appreciate the tips you give outside the scope of tubes. I agree with you, the tightness to play metal comes from your hands as well.

What tubes do you have in your Triaxis and 2:90? Have you ever used Tung Sols? How do you compare them with Mesa Tubes?

Currently I am running all stock Mesa Tubes.
A long while back I tried some 12AT7's in V1 V2 V4 did that for a while and eventually switched back to Mesa 12AX7's.I was looking for something a little less prone to feed back at the time. I've always used Mesa 6L6 for my power tubes.
Honestly I haven't delved to deeply into the myriad of Tube choices, but I'm always iterested to hear about others experiences. Some of the guys are real into that so hopefully we'll both learn something.

Latest posts

Back