accessing pots on mark iii head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treehorn

Reaction score
Can anyone give me an overview of how to get access to the pots? I need to replace one. Does the front panel come off? Do you have to take everything out the back?

gts said:
Take the chassis out of the combo cabinet or headshell.
You'll see what to do from there. It's pretty easy access to the pots.

To take the chassis out, by visual inspection I'd guess this means 1) remove the nuts from all the knobs and switches, and pull the handles off the EQ sliders, 2) disconnect the fan and reverb wires, 3) remove all the tubes to avoid breaking them, 4) remove the four screws on the top of the head, 5) slide the chassis out.

Is that it? Are all of the front panel controls physically mounted to the chassis? Or are some of them connected by cable?

[/quote]To take the chassis out, by visual inspection I'd guess this means 1) remove the nuts from all the knobs and switches, and pull the handles off the EQ sliders, 2) disconnect the fan and reverb wires, 3) remove all the tubes to avoid breaking them, 4) remove the four screws on the top of the head, 5) slide the chassis out.

Is that it? Are all of the front panel controls physically mounted to the chassis? Or are some of them connected by cable?[/quote]

You don't need to remove the nuts from the knobs and switches or the eq sliders. Simply remove the four screws on top,
disconnect fan and reverb cables and slide the amp chassis backwards out from the cabinet. You may want to remove the power tubes but you can leave the preamp tubes beacuse the amp stands on it´s transformers on a flat surface.
The front panel controls are all mounted to the chassis so everything comes out in one piece.

Ah! The front panel is not connected to the case, then; it's part of the chassis. Many thanks!

1. Remove fan plug at far left near power transformer
2. Remove Power Tubes
3. Unplug Gray and White reverb cables from the bottom of the chassis (Remeber Gray front, White rear when replacing)
4. Remove four screws at the top of the head shell
5. Grab amp by transformers and gently pull back to slide out
6. Remove stop screw on the knob that needs to be replaced with a mini flat head screwdriver
7. Remove Nut holding pot to chassis with 3/8 long well socket and pull pot out from the back
8. Replace, reverse the instructions.

GSINNER.jpg

The Boogie Board, it's ownership and members take no responsibility if you main yourself during this repair.

Latest posts

Back