aby switcher pedal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabies

Reaction score
not sure where to post it so here now.

is there any decent sounding aby pedal so I can run two amps at the same time (i.e. split the signal from one 1/4" input)?

i read some bad reviews on the Radial Engineering BigShot ABY Passive Switcher. Switchbone costs too much.

???

I'm interested in hearing the mix of KT66 marshall and EL34 rivera.

thx.

Saw a LiveWire Solutions ABY pedal at Guitar Center yesterday for $50. Does the amp A+B that you are looking for, plus the A or B thing. Can't vouch for it, though I do have a LiveWire Direct Box plus a bunch of their instrument cables, all of which function properly.

Here is the StarTouch ABY to the right of my board. They are hand built in Portland OR by Tony. Awesome quality, top components, no hum, no bleed, all steel housing.
DSCN2695-1.jpg

rabies said:
not sure where to post it so here now.

is there any decent sounding aby pedal so I can run two amps at the same time (i.e. split the signal from one 1/4" input)?

i read some bad reviews on the Radial Engineering BigShot ABY Passive Switcher. Switchbone costs too much.

???

I'm interested in hearing the mix of KT66 marshall and EL34 rivera.

thx.

The Bigshot ABY is awesome and the ground lift/iso transformer switches are excellent.
It is passive, meaning no buffer for the guitar signal.
What this means is when you engage both amps the signal from the guitar does get cut down a bit...bit less signal, bit less high end.
May be an issue for ya may not. I noticed it but wasnt an issue for me as I only required the a/b and ground lift capabilities.
The active circuitry of the switchbone and others addresses this issue.

You get what you pay for.

I tried the rest and got the best.

No noise.

Silent switching.

Transparent with an option to balance load with Drag Control.

Built like a tank.

Most useful and popular features built in.

Get the JX-2 SwitchBone by Radial.

i have the radial bigshot ABY and it's great!

Built like a tank and reliable. No batteries required is a plus, but that also means no status lights.

Excuse my ignorance in the matter, but would it be possible to have setup that is basically one switch on the floor where I have five buttons; 3 for the 3 modes on my Electra Dyne and 2 for the 2 channels of the Dual Rectifier?

I'm **CURIOUS** about this.

I'm sure you could imagine how annoying it would be to tap dance between the Electra Dyne footswitch and the Dual Rectifier footswitch in addition to a ABY floor switch...

Man, the other thing I would like is a footswitch which controls BOTH amps at once. I'm thinking that both amps running at once might sound absolutely killer.

When you say control "both amps at once" what do you mean?

Do you mean a foot-switch that controls both amps' channel switching or both amps' fxloop on/off?

I took the Mesa stock fxloop and channel switching foot-switches and modified them to do just that.

I am able to switch both amps at the same time using one foot-switch.

I added a second jack on both foot-switches and LED for the channel switch and on both foot-switches I replaced the switch with a DPDT switch and they work great.

I hope this helps.

domct203 said:
Jackie said:

That Lehle looks like a nice piece of gear for sure, but ****, $340 for an ABY box?

Dom

I agree, but there isn't a lot it can't do... That's the absolute top stuff though there's units like the Little Dual that aren't as expensive and get the job done too.

The cool thing about the Dual SGoS is that is has MIDI so if you have a MIDI footswitch you can program it to that and you don't have to touch it at all. Too bad the Rec and ED don't.

So you basically need two footswitches that are midi compatible -one for the Recto and one for the Electra Dyne- and then you have to control all of them with another box? ***confused***

Keep in mind I want to ABY a Dual Recto with an Electra Dyne but I want to be able to configure one controller to be able to select channels. I don't like the idea of tap dancing.

YellowJacket said:
So you basically need two footswitches that are midi compatible -one for the Recto and one for the Electra Dyne- and then you have to control all of them with another box? ***confused***

Keep in mind I want to ABY a Dual Recto with an Electra Dyne but I want to be able to configure one controller to be able to select channels. I don't like the idea of tap dancing.
You need one MIDI controller, and a MIDI function switcher for each amp to change channels etc. If you have a MIDI capable ABY box that would be controlled with your MIDI controller as well.

Dom

domct203 said:
You need one MIDI controller, and a MIDI function switcher for each amp to change channels etc. If you have a MIDI capable ABY box that would be controlled with your MIDI controller as well.

Dom

Ok, I think I get it. You need a new footswitch for the Electra Dyne, and a new footswitch for the Dual Rectifier. Both of these footswitches can be controlled remotely by midi.

Then you hook both amps up to a midi controller along with a midi compatible ABY box and the whole lot is controlled by the controller. This way you have one button for each setting you want...

Am I getting it!?

YellowJacket said:
domct203 said:

Dom

Ok, I think I get it. You need a new footswitch for the Electra Dyne, and a new footswitch for the Dual Rectifier. Both of these footswitches can be controlled remotely by midi.

Then you hook both amps up to a midi controller along with a midi compatible ABY box and the whole lot is controlled by the controller. This way you have one button for each setting you want...

Am I getting it!?

Yes you are. You can also incorporate MIDI controlled effect processors like the G-Major, and MIDI controlled bypass loopers that you can plug your stomp boxes into. MIDI control will give you "one stomp" access to your rig, ending the "tap dance".

Dom

Back