A few rectoverb issuse

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake37

Reaction score
My series I rectoverb seems to be a little cranky. I just replaced what I think were the orginal preamp tubes with elctro harmonix 12ax7s, with a balanced one in the phase inverter, just in case. I replaced them because my effects loop was making all kinds of microphonic noise when I used it and my high gain channel was making similer sounds on ocasion. Also my reverb sounds horrible on the clean channel.

After replacing the tubes, the amp sounded better, but fot the first few minutes, I was getting microphonic noise and this weird b ackdround crackling that was their if I played or not. I flipped the amp to standby and then back and this stuff stopped, so I'm wondering if I even have to worry about it.

My reverb still sounds like crap on the clean channel though. It gives the note distortion or something underneith the regular notes or something, I'm having a hard time discribing it, but it's not good. I was hoping the tubes would fix this, but as I'm both a mesa and tube noob, I'm kinda lost.

Help?

You may have a bad pre-amp tube. I always keep a few spares around to use to diagnose problems. Also, too many 12AX7 Electro- Harmonix tubes will make the amp dark sounding. Toss a few Chinese tubes to brighten it up. Good luck. You may also try posting in the "tubes" section of this board for more responses.

Latest posts

Back