A few questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypus

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm mostly a lurker here but reading some posts I figured there are some people here who might be able to help me out with two questions I had.

The first one involves my Dual Rec. Is it safe to play a standard 4 string Fender bass through it? I want to do some recording but I do not have a bass amp handy. I am not going to be doing anything wild through it and I've read that a lot of people use the Dual Rec as a bass amp but I didn't want to harm anything.

The second question is for the metal players here. For the most part I've heard that LTD guitars were not exactly the best on the market but I am looking to get a 7 string baritone guitar with EMG81's so I can play in A and B, etc. The stephen carpenter model by ESP/LTD seems to have all the features I'm looking for and the price tag isn't ridiculous (945 USD) however my experience with them as a guitar manufacturer is quite limited. Is that guitar worth the price?

http://www.espguitars.com/images/guitars/sc607b_ng.jpg <- pic

FEATURES: neck-thru-body construction; 27” baritone scale; mahogany body (maple for Black finish); 3-piece maple neck; rosewood fingerboard; SRC at 12th fret inlay w/model name at 24th fret; EMG 81-7 active pickups; volume & tone controls w/3-way slotted switch; chrome hardware; TonePros locking bridge w/string-thru-body; black binding on neck & headstock (white on neck & headstock for Black finish); 24 XJ frets

Is there a better guitar I should be looking at for a low tuning model? Most people online refer to LTD as the new epiphone(not the original) to the Gibson or Squier to Fender, etc. I know this last questions doesn't have much to do with Mesa however I figured there are quite a few metal players here.

Cheers!
p

The second question is for the metal players here. For the most part I've heard that LTD guitars were not exactly the best on the market but I am looking to get a 7 string baritone guitar with EMG81's so I can play in A and B, etc. The stephen carpenter model by ESP/LTD seems to have all the features I'm looking for and the price tag isn't ridiculous (945 USD) however my experience with them as a guitar manufacturer is quite limited. Is that guitar worth the price?

I've had an ESP LTD MH-301 for a couple of years now and love it. No, its not the best guitar I've played, but for the price it plays just as well as guitars that cost MUCH more. I've never had a construction issue and all parts and hardware are still mint. I changed the stock passive EMG's to a 81/60 combo, and it sounds great.

I have a standard model ESP Eclipse on order because of my good experience with their LTD line. I don't think you'd be disappointed!

Bass through a guitar amp can work at very low volumes. Speakers for guitar amps are selected based on the typical guitar range so they may not sound that great or could even be damaged if you attempt to play a bass through them at high volumes. I think you would be better off getting a bass Vamp for recording, they don't cost that much (around $100 new).

I use a Recto into an Ampeg 4x10 cab, sounds great IMO.

Honestly, it also sounds great into a Mesa 4x10 (killer midrange, but it doesn't have the same bottom end due to the limited bass responce of the guitar speakers), but I've never turned it up too loud for fear of blowing the coils or stressing the cones. Though I have met a woman who uses a proper bass rig and a Dual Recto & 4x10 with a Rickenbacker bass.

screamingdaisy said:
I use a Recto into an Ampeg 4x10 cab, sounds great IMO.

Honestly, it also sounds great into a Mesa 4x10 (killer midrange, but it doesn't have the same bottom end due to the limited bass responce of the guitar speakers), but I've never turned it up too loud for fear of blowing the coils or stressing the cones. Though I have met a woman who uses a proper bass rig and a Dual Recto & 4x10 with a Rickenbacker bass.

Rickenbackers have a stereo jack that separates the bridge and neck pickup tones. She probably sends the output from the neck pickup through the bass rig, and the bridge pickup output to the Dual Rec. 8)

Latest posts

Back