A couple Mark 4 questions????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recto-robbie

Reaction score
What do you guys think about the combination of using the mark 4 head or combo with a recto 2x12 cab?????? I own the cab and wonder what you guys think of this combination.
And ive read that the Mark 4 sounds best when used very loudly, this is true for just about every tube amp I assume, but is it any good for playing at moderate levels? I mean do you really need to play it at ear splitting levels all the time to achieve the sound everybody raves about???
Thanks for any help you guys can offer

head into one of those cad's is a great mix.. very solid and sweet..

one of the many nice things about this amp is that you can switch the power down and run it pretty quite but still get that sweet break up.. i can play it in my room at 15 watts and get almost as good tone as on stage at 70!!

this all sounds great, I must also ask what the max gain is in the Mark4?
I have heard many samples on these forums and I do listen to metallica but the one time I messed with a Mark 4 for a few hours I couldnt for the life of me get a nice hard distortion, for example, like Metallica.
Is it possible that most people or artists are also using overdrive pedals to achieve these gain sounds?
And do you guys have issues with noise from these amps? The one time I played one I only used the same Gibson LP and sat in pretty much the same spot but on higher gain third channel the noise was pretty much unbearable. Any thoughts or suggestions??

+1 on the 2x12 recto cab. I was running my Mk IV combo through my 2x12 last night and honestly the amp just sounds so much better. I'm almost afraid to use it alone as a combo because it just doesn't sound the same. Metallica has used the Mk IV and Mark series line of amps for a long time in order to craft their sounds. More recently they have been using the triaxis. I'm not sure what they run for pedals, but the Mk IV will be a good starting point. And yes, they can be a little noisy.. But, I own several tube amps and when the gains are pushed they will give you some white background noise no matter what. If you don't want noise, go pick up a solid state transistorized amp!

Getting the right distortion sound is all about spending time with the amp with YOUR guitar, YOUR playing environment, YOUR cab, etc. The amp can definitely get Metallica style distortion---I play 80-90's era Metallica/Testament stuff sometimes and at band volumes I've never had to go past 7 on the gain setting. It's all in how you set the controls to get the right mix of pre/power tube distortion.

As for the cab, I really like the way the Recto 2x12 works with the Mark. However, I run it simultaneously with a 3/4 back 1x12 with an EV speaker for a little more dimension.

I use a Recto 2x12" horizontal cabinet w/ my Mark IV. I like it alot over other cabs because the bass response gives the Mark IV a bigger sound - especially when setting it to high gain.

Mark IVs definitely kick ***. They have plenty of gain to get to thrash sounds (think Exodus and Testament levels). The only thing I don't like about the Mark IV is that it doesn't have enough distortion to get that searing death metal type tone. I've said it before: If versatility is the question, a Mark IV is the answer.

I need to ask another question here.
Ive been thinking of trading in my ROV for a new MarkIV but believe it or not I just found a used one in excellent condition for $1000.
I have not yet seen this amp but the store says it looks brand new and they believe its an older one. Its the combo wide body I believe because the harmonics switch is on the front.
If this is an older version, do I need to know anything about versions?
I think I have read about version A/B and so on.
Is there any big difference between these or even any difference between an older or brand new Mark4? Are the new ones better because of improvements? Do the older ones sound better over all?
I have no clue about any of this stuff and before I make a bad decision because there is only an exchange policy at the place I deal with, I need to ask you guys these things because I dont think I can find a better resource of knowledge anywhere. Thanks very much again.

Grab it while it's there, $1000 for a good condition MIV combo is a great price, especially right now. I wouldn't worry about the differences until you actually have one and play with it for a while, because the differences are gonna be fairly subtle, and if you end up wanting a newer one you should easily be able to make some cash off of it if it's in good condition.

Latest posts

Back