95 2 Channel Dual Recto or 2005 3 Channel Dual Recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warped

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have the chance to pickup either

1995 2 Channel Dual Recto with SED 6L6's
or
2005 3 Channel Dual Recto.

The 2 Channel is a bit cheaper, and I really don't need 3 channels (Only need clean and Metal). I'm mainly interested in tones for Modern Metal and which one might suit better (If there is much difference at all in the Modern Lead Channel in each. Which would you guys suggest I go for (I can't play them first as they are interstate, so I'd be buying without playing it and getting it shipped to me?

I'll be running a LTD Baritone w EMG81. And have a MaxonOD808 to boost if I want, an ISP Decimator pedal to tame the boosted sound - and a BBE Sonic Maximizer to use in the effects loop if I want (as well as a Rocktron HUSH Super C if needed).

Thanks for you help guys.
Daz

I'm a little biased when it comes to my opinion on this, but it's only because I own both models and believe that the differences are easily noticeable to even an untrained ear.

The 2channel Rectos, especially of the year you have identified, feature great clarity in the notes and between the strings in even the highest of gain applications. The bass is much tighter that the 3ch rectos, resulting in a "less muddy" sound overall. However, if you chunk down, it's still there. There is no "harshness," which is often the main complaint regarding the 3ch rectos. The tone is very aggressive--it is the recto sound--but just smoothed out and cleaner. The only problem you may face is getting a really nice clean sound. The 3channel rectos have a chimier and louder clean sound overall, but at the expense of a loss of tone on the gain channels. Every time I make this post, I feel as if I am offending someone, but please, don't take it that way. Understand that I have both amps and I am providing an honest opinion.

2 channel, no hesitation. I owned a 3ch Dual for almost 2 years, and traded it for my 2ch Dual in the summer. I couldn't be happier with the trade.

I agree with Elpelotero. I had both until two days ago. I tried out the 3 channel a couple of times, but didn't like it compared to my 2 channel. So I sold it. And for what you are playing, the 2 channel is perfect. Some people say the clean on the 3 channel is better, but I have actually dialed in a really nice sparkly clean on my 2 channel. Go with the 2 channel and you will NOT be disappointed at all!

all you people with the 3 channels that didnt like them, quick question for you, did you try different tubes besides the 430"s? It does make a big difference once you replace them.

i tried the 420's and 5u4g's (the one for tighter attack). It helped out a little, but the difference was still apples and oranges to me...maybe it became a little more like apples and peaches.....a little closer, but not still close to being it.

Elpelotero,

is there much difference between your #29 and your 339?

Reason I ask is I have 394 coming in, just wondering what the difference is between my R0005 and the 394 coming in.

Elpelotero said:
i tried the 420's and 5u4g's (the one for tighter attack). It helped out a little, but the difference was still apples and oranges to me...maybe it became a little more like apples and peaches.....a little closer, but not still close to being it.

Lol not again, to benny we are snobes, for liking the 2channel, lol,
anyway 2 channel you must get. :lol:. allso i tryed jj el34 ls and the front end high gain kit, somthing cheap and nasty about those tubes, they burn out easy i find, how about you guys, dont get me wrong they are better sounding, but quilty,they just burn out faster, just wish they would last longer, also realy weird things started happening to my 3 channel dual recto, it went down hill, whos knows.

siggy14 said:
Elpelotero,

is there much difference between your #29 and your 339?

Reason I ask is I have 394 coming in, just wondering what the difference is between my R0005 and the 394 coming in.

Elpelotero said:

any differences are neglible. i haven't spent enough time comparing them side by side. if and when i do, i'll post my findings.

Latest posts

Back