810 vs 610

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary

Reaction score
Happy New Year!

Just switched from lurker to member. Very cool place.

I just picked up a 750 BB and am now shopping cabs. Play in a rather silly/loud at times three piece. Lean toward an aggressive clank tone with a full punchy feel. No complaints here about lifting big cabs. It's worth it to get the sound. I pay good money to go to a health club, big cabs can help me keep my girlish figure.

I'm considering either the Boogie 810 or 610. Have no way to try either. I was hoping perhaps someone from the board my have some experience and/or an opinion.

Thanks, Gary :D

i would suggest neither, instead go for two 410's. your head will do 2 ohms so get 2 4 ohm cabs. you might consider the 410/212 combo as well, but i think two 410s would be more up your alley. you will get full power out of your head with the added plus of being able to split your rig in half for those rare occasions you don't want to bring an 810 to the gig/practice (especially practice)

between the two i would pony up for the 810 as the 610 is only marginally smaller/lighter.

btw if you plan on running distortion i might think twice about tweeters. i only say this cause the bb has a built in distortion channel. if a lot of grit is a big part of your sound then go for a sealed 810 (tweeterless) or better yet a pair of old diesel 115's (or 4 if you just want plain stupid volume) if you're a slapper and you like tweeters disreguard the last suggestion.

Great post Mr. Funk.

You brought up some excellent points I never considered, such as the amp load & horn effects.

Thank you sir!

If I may, I own a couple horn loaded Trace 410's. Would these be fairly similar soundwise to the Boogie 410's with a horn?

i would definately see if you could get a workable tone from the trace's before you bought more cabs. i imagine they would sound quite good with that amp. the boogie 410 would have a little less agressive midrange, and a looser more pillowy/fuller bottom. the trace's will be a little leaner in the lows but a bit tighter, and will have a more articulate midrange. either could be eqed to aproximate the other to a large degree, especially given the fact that you will be running two. ie you have a lot more lattitude in eqing in bass frequencies with two cabs. excursion becomes less of an issue the more drivers you have. two 410s will take a substantial bass boost without farting out because you have to push them less when running a pair, compared to one.

Boogafunk,

Again, thank you very much for your knowledgeable and informative post my good man. It would appear you have considerable time on the "front lines" with you intricate pointers. Your sound description is spot on when I A/B my Trace & Boogie combos. You have saved me $1000 on a 610 purchase as the (2) 410 cabs are more versatile. I shall probably still shop a set of Boogie 410's as I'm an equipment idiot, but flying the Trace cabs for a while will allow me to "hear" the Boogie difference and decide if they are for me.

If you ever find you need some assistance in the Detroit area, (traveling, ebay purchase), let me know. I would be more than happy to lend a hand.

Stay Low, Gary

Look into a couple 4-12 bass cabs......if i was still playing bass i'd ditch my old ampeg 8-10 in a heart beat for 'em.

Might be worth looking into for your style....... imo

Good luck bro!

this post made me miss playing bass......

I own a 6x10, and I love the sound.
For one nighters it was killing me.
I bought an old diesel 2x10 that was worn out, and rebuilt it to handle 600w @ 4 ohms.
My only complaint is that the handles rattle, and I need to buy a combo stand so I can angle the little sucker up, so its not pointed at my calfs.
I'll probably sell/trade the 6x and the 2x off for 2-4x.

Latest posts

Back