80's Hair Metal Style Guitar

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guild X series...especially the X-88...absolutely defines the 80's :)

link to a lame picture
http://www.bostonguitar.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/guild-x-88-flying-star-mini.jpg

Red Barchetta said:
I'm starting to toy with the idea of getting an 80's syle shred machine to relive my memories of that decade.....you know, 2 humbuckers or 2 single and 1 humbucker...with a Floyd Rose or Kahler trem....pointy headstock....you get the picture. Something like an old Jackson Soloist or some Ibanez....

Anybody have any suggestions for a new axe like that? Something not too pricey...below 2 grand definately...but great if even less....or maybe some vintage sweetie...hmmmmm.....choices, choices...

RB

that guild x-88, i think it`s the guitar mick mars used in the too young to fall in love video. i always wondered wtf he had

You're right..it is the X-88. I bought one back in the early 80's with just one humbucker and a Kahler. A friend replaced it with an EMG and added an EMG single coil in the neck position. The guild came with an alleged composite neck/fretboard (I could never get a straight answer) that is a shredders dream. I'm not not necessarily a shredder, more of a Gary Moore/Schenker style player, but that guitar got me thru the 80's, the 1st part of the 90's (I quit in 93 after my son was born) and again in 2003 when I dusted off the chops :). I still use it today to gig along with my Ibanez AR2000

lailer75 said:
that guild x-88, i think it`s the guitar mick mars used in the too young to fall in love video. i always wondered wtf he had

jackson.jpg

If you want Big Hair Guitars then this baby has to be what I think of!!! This is one of my guitars, she's a 1988 US Dinky Strat (signed by Grover on the back of the headstock.)

She's been upgraded with a gen Floyd, Bareknuckles VH II P/U's with HS3 in the neck.... I think for nearly 20 years old she is a stunner :D

Want to take a peak at (some) of the rest of my collection look here;

http://www.dropzone-v1.co.uk/Guitars.htm

Regards Respect & Rock On

Tramp

Lots of good advice...thanks...I really liked the Dellingers....

Now the GAS for this style of guitar has mercifully faded a bit...so I'll just keep my eyes open for a good deal.

Thanks again.

RB

Red Barchetta said:
Lots of good advice...thanks...I really liked the Dellingers....

Now the GAS for this style of guitar has mercifully faded a bit...so I'll just keep my eyes open for a good deal.

Thanks again.

RB

It will be back, especially when Metal Mania comes on VH-1 Classic. :lol:

Here's what I picked up when I got a hair metal gas attack:

46y7vw6.jpg

There's definitely some good deals on Jackson/Charvels out there, so don't overlook these. Good luck!

As a someone who was actually around for the hair-metal days (or is that "daze"?), I have a soft spot for '80's guitars. Here are my 2 Jacksons, both of which are from 1989:
snake-full-22ed.jpg

red-full-2-50.jpg

In addition, I have a black Fender HM Strat but I don't have pics online of it. Pretty nice guitar and different for Fender with a wide, 24-fret neck and 25.0" scale length.

Something about '80's guitars that I find cool and most of my friends find wierd... :lol:

Latest posts

Back