8/16 ohm output jacks on 2 channel Duale Rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broken

Reaction score
Is it safe to use a 16 ohm hotplate with 8/16 ohm output jacks? I've never come across them before.

There are two 4 ohm and two 8/16 ohm output jacks

I asked Ed at THD this very question tonight. When he gets back to me, I will post his reply. (if I forget ...please send me a PM and I will do it...I am getting a bit forgetful in my old age :oops: )

Todd

toddzilla said:
I asked Ed at THD this very question tonight. When he gets back to me, I will post his reply. (if I forget ...please send me a PM and I will do it...I am getting a bit forgetful in my old age :oops: )

Todd

He'll probably tell you that it's safe to mis-match 2:1 in either direction....

I got impatient and called THD. Ed is a super guy and a great player and gave me quite a bit of advice. The short version is do NOT use an 8 and 16 ohm load directly into the 16 ohm hot plate. The total resistance would be 5.6 ohms and that os unsafe. It would. however be OK with an 8 ohm hot plate.

He did offer me a possible solution foe using a 8 and 16 ohm speaker with a 16 ohm hot plate. Use the parallel jack on the 8 ohm cab to run the hot plate and the 16 ohm speaker. This allows a limited amount of attenuation but it is safe. The 8 ohm cabinet will be louder when used in this configuration.

As I read this it is as clear a mud :?

Todd

My rectifier has two 8/16 ohm output jacks not one 8 ohm and one 16 ohm.
What I'm wanting to know is what are they actually putting out? How can these jacks be both 8 ohm and 16 ohm?

Broken said:
My rectifier has two 8/16 ohm output jacks not one 8 ohm and one 16 ohm.
What I'm wanting to know is what are they actually putting out? How can these jacks be both 8 ohm and 16 ohm?

Either one will be safe with a 16ohm cab, if you run 2 16ohm cabs you will have dropped the load to 8ohms hence the marking on your outputs.

BWS

Latest posts

Back