6V6's in a Lonestar classic, is it posible?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Rob

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I had a couple of question about 6v6 in a lone star as I have the chance to pick one up cheap, but the 50/100w is just too much for too many reasons. so i would like to hear about your experiences.

1.who of you have tried 6V6's in their lone star and with what results

2. what about power? Is it around 20w with 2 tubes engaged 40-50 w/ all 4? ( think OP tube saturation at non-ear bleeding levels)

3. what sort of character does the lonestar assume w/6v6's (does it sound like any other amps?)

Any thoughts?

Your man in Amsterdam
Rob

I am getting ready to do this myself, so I'll keep you posted (gimme a couple of weeks). But my understanding is that you're supposed to keep the amp in tweed mode with 6V6s. I assume the consequences of going with full power are basically that the tubes won't last long.

I also understand that your actual output rating drops basically in half with this setup.

The one reservation I have about this idea is that after using almost exclusively tweed mode for the first three months or so that I owned my LSC, I have decided that I actually like the full-power mode better. I love a good squishy response, but the clarity and teeth that I get with full power have, at this point, won me over. But maybe 6V6s will be so sweet and delicious that I'll go back.

Apologies for not actually answering your question.

I am getting ready to do this myself, so I'll keep you posted (gimme a couple of weeks). But my understanding is that you're supposed to keep the amp in tweed mode with 6V6s. I assume the consequences of going with full power are basically that the tubes won't last long.

I also understand that your actual output rating drops basically in half with this setup.

Thanks for the response DJW, I was beginning to wonder.

I'm really curious as to the sound, wattage, character differences etc.... Please keep me posted

Rob

From the manual:

NOTE: Using the AC POWER switch set to TWEED will reduce the strain on EL34 tubes (and 6L6 as well). If you prefer the sound of
this setting, you will reduce the likelihood of tube problems and greatly extend their toneful life, as they are basically coasting.
NOTE: It is possible to run the smaller octal 6V6 power tubes for reduced power applications and a looser bubblier sound in the
TWEED AC POWER SETTING ONLY. Leave the BIAS SELECT switch set to 6L6 (switch down) and install four 6V6 power tubes. It
is advisable to use both Channels set to the 100 watt setting for reliability and proper impedance matching.
Do not run 6V6 in the normal POWER ON setting as they cannot handle the higher AC voltage and could fail and damage internal
components! When using these tubes, move the 8 ohm speaker to the 4 ohm SPEAKER OUTPUT jack. This will reduce strain on the
tubes and produce the best sonic response.

That's the official response- hope this helps!

Hey:

Yes I've tried 6V6s in my Lone Star and they sound terrific. You can get a really 'crisp' overdriven sound with them at a volume where you can barely get the 6L6s (even at 50watts) to begin to breakup.

But what I tried and really-really love is 1-pair of 6V6s, and 1-pair of Yellow-Jackets with JJ EL-84s in them.

Yow-ee! Talk about spicy! You get the crispness of 6V6s coupled with the sweet 'warbling' overdriven sound of EL-84s! Utterly fantastic! I usually put the 6V6s in the 2 outside tube sockets and the YJs with EL-84s in the 2 center sockets but you can reverse the order.
I plug my 8-ohm speaker setup into a 4-ohm jack as instructed in the manual. Contrary to manual warnings however; I use either the regular (bold) on position or the 'Tweed' on position. Mesa advises using 'tweed' to protect the 6V6 tubes from high voltages; but the new generation of JJ-6V6s and even the EH-6V6s are supposed to be able to handle these high voltages.

With both the 6V6s and YJ-el84s; not only do you get to play at lesser volumes before breakup; but you get a unique and responsive sound with lots of character.
The volume with this combination is about the same as with 4-6V6s; but you can vary the volume and the saturation levels slightly by ordering sets of 6V6s and El-84s in different breakup ranges.

BTW: Mesa made amps using mixed 6V6-class A/B and EL-84-class C power sections; the Blue Angel and 'progressive-linkage' comes readily to mind.

Try it...you'll probably like it!

Regards: Charles

Charles Reeder said:
Hey:

Yes I've tried 6V6s in my Lone Star and they sound terrific. You can get a really 'crisp' overdriven sound with them at a volume where you can barely get the 6L6s (even at 50watts) to begin to breakup.

But what I tried and really-really love is 1-pair of 6V6s, and 1-pair of Yellow-Jackets with JJ EL-84s in them.

Yow-ee! Talk about spicy! You get the crispness of 6V6s coupled with the sweet 'warbling' overdriven sound of EL-84s! Utterly fantastic! I usually put the 6V6s in the 2 outside tube sockets and the YJs with EL-84s in the 2 center sockets but you can reverse the order.
I plug my 8-ohm speaker setup into a 4-ohm jack as instructed in the manual. Contrary to manual warnings however; I use either the regular (bold) on position or the 'Tweed' on position. Mesa advises using 'tweed' to protect the 6V6 tubes from high voltages; but the new generation of JJ-6V6s and even the EH-6V6s are supposed to be able to handle these high voltages.

With both the 6V6s and YJ-el84s; not only do you get to play at lesser volumes before breakup; but you get a unique and responsive sound with lots of character.
The volume with this combination is about the same as with 4-6V6s; but you can vary the volume and the saturation levels slightly by ordering sets of 6V6s and El-84s in different breakup ranges.

BTW: Mesa made amps using mixed 6V6-class A/B and EL-84-class C power sections; the Blue Angel and 'progressive-linkage' comes readily to mind.

Try it...you'll probably like it!

****, Charles, have you come here to school us today?

Hi Charles Reeder,

If you get a chance, which brand and make tubes did you purchase and prefer for this arrangment, and from whom did you purchase them?

I already enjoy the 6v6 +or- EL84 combo option in my Blue Angel, but I would like to see what it sounds like in the LSC.

hey billq:

I have only tried the JJ brand of EL-84s in my Yellow Jackets. I am very happy with how this combination sounds in my Lone Star. I think I will eventually try some of the TADs though...they sound interesting.

As to the 6V6s; I've tried both the JJ and Electro Harmonix brands in my Lone Star...and contrary to popular opinion I actually like the EH more! I think the JJs sound very nice...they just don't seem to get as much of that 'crisp' and 'tight' sound that I associate with 6V6s...they sound 'fatter' or 'rounder' to me...more like 'mini' 6L6s. That's certainly a nice sound and many may prefer it...just not exactly what I was looking for.

Also I found it more difficult to find JJ 6V6s that would bias hot enough in the Lone Star...although if I had gone through Bob at Euro-Tubes he might have given me a closer match. If I was really intent on using the JJ brand I'd probably give him a call.

I bought both my EH and JJ 6V6s as well as my JJ EL-84s at the Tube Depot out of Memphis...they guarantee a 3-day FedEx delivery for $3.95.
I found that the 6V6s graded at 20 to 21 hardness (by the Tube Depot's rating system) matched up best in my Lone Star. I bought 3 'grades' of EL-84s. And it actually makes a difference which grade you use...you can clearly hear the difference...and they are all useful.

I honestly didn't try any NOS 6V6s because I was fearful I would just ruin them by running them under the high voltage in the Lonestar. As I have mentioned I took the manufacturers of EH and JJ at their word that their tubes would handle high voltages and (contrary to the Lone Star manual suggestions) I run them in both the 'Tweed' and the normal on positions with both the tube or solid state rectifier.

And yes I do sometimes use the 50 watt setting...with the EH tubes (as they bias warmer) and plugged into the 4-ohm speaker jack it sounds quite nice...But the 100 watt setting running both the 6V6s and the EL-84s sounds so sweet that I use it any time that I can get away with it!

I hope this helps.

Charles Reeder said:
hey billq:

I have only tried the JJ brand of EL-84s in my Yellow Jackets. I am very happy with how this combination sounds in my Lone Star. I think I will eventually try some of the TADs though...they sound interesting.

Hi Charles,
I appreciate your help; I look forward to trying this out!

Thanks again, Charles,
Bill

The Yellowjacket option is the reason I went with the LSC as opposed to the LSS.

I can ALWAYS get the EL84, 6L6 AND 6V6 tone with the LSC, but the LSS is always just EL84.

Rock on

buddaman71 said:
The Yellowjacket option is the reason I went with the LSC as opposed to the LSS. I can ALWAYS get the EL84, 6L6 AND 6V6 tone with the LSC, but the LSS is always just EL84.

Hey buddaman71,

I hear what you are saying, and I appreciate this advice.

I think the variety of tube substitutions and the resultant sonic capabilities that the LSC offers, in some cases with outside help like the Yellowjackets, makes it the amp for me. I am going to sell my LSS 1x12 and see if I can wait for a used LSC head with the 10/50/100 option.

One thing I learned from the LSS, besides the fact that it is an incredible tone monster inspite of its EL84 structure, is that once I got a taste of Class A on the LSS, I don't want to forego the Class A option in the future.

buddaman71 said:
The Yellowjacket option is the reason I went with the LSC as opposed to the LSS.

I can ALWAYS get the EL84, 6L6 AND 6V6 tone with the LSC, but the LSS is always just EL84.

Rock on

My reasoning exactly! Charles

Back