6L6s

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strata189

Reaction score
Ordered a set of Ruby branded "winged C" 6L6s for my Dual Rec -
anyone try these?

Randall

strata189 said:
Ordered a set of Ruby branded "winged C" 6L6s for my Dual Rec -
anyone try these?

Randall

I just tested out a matched quad of Winged C 6L6s in my Roadster. I'm sure your quad is just a relabelled version, ie. they should sound just like the regular Winged C 6L6s. Nevertheless, in contrast to the stock Mesa STR 440, I've found my that it sounded bigger, warmer, brighter, and less compressed and has more headroom at higher volumes. These differences are fairly marginal though. On the other hand, I'm happy with the change, but that's just me...

Thanks, KH Guitar Freak

I'm sure they'll sound better than the 3 blue and 1 red Mesa-branded 6L6s that were
in the amp when I bought it. Hell, maybe they won't! :mrgreen:

Randall

strata189 said:
Thanks, KH Guitar Freak

I'm sure they'll sound better than the 3 blue and 1 red Mesa-branded 6L6s that were
in the amp when I bought it. Hell, maybe it won't! :mrgreen:

Randall

Definately, since the color means nothing other than the tubes match and from your description you have an un matched quad.

clutch71 said:
strata189 said:
Thanks, KH Guitar Freak

in the amp when I bought it. Hell, maybe it won't! :mrgreen:

Randall

Definately, since the color means nothing other than the tubes match and from your description you have an un matched quad.
I'd have to disagree with you there clutch.....for those of us who are nit-picky about how much headroom(or lack thereof in my case) our tubes have, the color code(or numbers in the case of GT) is quite useful.

I thought the colors on the Mesa simply implied that they were matched. ie he's mismatched because he has 3 blue and one red. My line of thinking that two blue in the outer and two red for the inner would be acceptable.

I was unaware of color equating to the # scheme used by GT and others.

If I mispoke, I apologize.

No need to apologize. 8) if i remember correctly Red is a GT #6 and a white is GT#4 and the others fall somewhere in between....i agree on your point though and wonder why mesa would have not shipped them all the same color or at least each pair the same.

Well, took the =C=s over to my tech's place today - popped 'em in, checked the bias
and holy **** , what a difference!
So much more clarity and and the harmonics are so much richer - guess you know I'm happy. :mrgreen:

Randall

Latest posts

Back