6l6s v.s. el34s

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirksflooring

Reaction score
I'd like to hear from anyone who has used both types of power tubes, especially those that have A/B tested them in the same amp. Which did you like better, and how did it change the sound. I have a power amp with 6l6s right now and am considering MODing it to el34s.

I'm running a recoverb and found that they both have pro's and con's. El34's give more of a classic crunch sound, but you definitely sacrifice some low end as compared to the bassy 6L6's. I compromised by switching over to KT77's, which are a direct EL34 replacement but with more low end and good crunch.

You'll get as much change going from 6L6s to EL34s as you will from changing brands of 6L6. Maybe even just ching to a different pair. Very little. Of course you're going to hear a difference if you change EQs, but if you want to hear the difference between tubes, don't move the knobs. If there's a difference, you'll hear it. You're not "getting the most" out of the different tube type by changing settings. Put the first ones back in, it'll still sound largely the same.

And there is a difference, but it's very slight. When all is said and done, your Mesa will always sound like a Mesa. You want to hear a change, change speakers. Go from Jensens, or Weber Calis to Greenbacks or Blues, THERE's a difference. If you want your amp to sound more "Marshall," swapping tubes doesn't do that.

Here's a bunch of clips I did.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=420709

There are Road King clips with the same settings and mic positions, no processing, just switched from 6L6s to EL34s. I did the same with with my Budda Dual Stage 30, which switches from 2x6L6s to 4xEL84s.

The clip titled Cabs changes cabinets and speaker types. It still sounds like the Budda, but the voice of the amp is significantly altered. Tubes don't do so much.

I am an EL34 guy. I th ink that the added mids you get with a good set of EL34 tubes is amazing. I dont like all the lows and highs of 6L6 tubes.

I have 6l6's in my DR and EL34's in my SR. The El34's emphasize a different harmonic spectrum than 6l6's. Less bass, more mids and high end. I personally hear a huge difference between the two tubes. I also much prefer the cleans with El34. I find 6l6's to be dull in the cleans department. Overall I prefer 6l6's but I like to use el34's frm time to time as a change in pace.

This is a very big difference when using the two different tubes.

Latest posts

Back