6L6 power tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analog

Reaction score
I was told at the Mesa dealer where I go that I have to use Mesa power tubes in my dual rectifier or I will hurt the amp. Is this true? I`m happy with my sound just not the price of Mesa tubes. $45 a pair 6L6 GCSTR430

I retubed with some JJ's. Amp has played fine for the last 2 years. That being said, there is a deception being put accross and these people should be held legally liable. The truth is that Mesa tubes are made in the same factory to the same specs as many other brands. But if they (mesa) find out they will not honor the warranty. Thus allowing them to mark up these tubes they put their label on. I've heard that they will honor groove tubes, so I've heard.

There's nothing special or magical about Mesa branded tubes. They've just been checked and sorted and relabeled. BUT one of the checks they do is for current draw at operating voltages, and this is critical. Since Mesa amps do not have a bias adjustment, you must be sure to use tubes that have current draw in the correct range or you can wreck the amp.

I have used, and am currently using, non-Mesa tubes in my Mark IV. My amp tech has a tube tester which I used to test some Mesa tubes - the 6L6 STR430s, as well as the EL34 STR 447s, so I know what the current draw should be, and I selected non-Mesa tubes that have the same or lower current draw.

I've heard that if you order from Doug's tubes and specify that they are for a Mesa, he will select ones with low enough current draw.

If you decide to use non-Mesa tubes, its a good idea to proceed with caution. After you install them, watch carefully as they heat up after you turn the amp on, then start out with the output and power low and work up to your normal performance volume in baby steps. If they start redplating, or getting discolored, you know you have trouble. Also, if there are noticeable changes in tone, something might be amiss. Good luck.

that most of the "honest" tube dealers will sell you the appropriate draw 6L6. I have only dealt with Doug's Tubes, and he is extremely knowledgeable - discuss your tone requirements and he might suggest certain pre-amp tube changes as well - "Tame or UNLEASH the Beast" type stuff.

I have "heard" that the Mesa 430 tubes are relabeled Ruby 6L6GCMSTR tubes. that is what i have put in my .50 +, Mark III and now Lonestar.

Halfdeaf:
"so I know what the current draw should be, and I selected non-Mesa tubes that have the same or lower current draw."

What are the correct ranges of current draw on the 6L6's?

BOB at Eurotubes will select the correct draw for you as well.
just tell him what amp they are going into and he'll set you up.

Thanks Kmanick- That "correct draw" number is what I need. I have a full box of NOS RCA blackplate 6L6's. My tech has a tube tester and in order to see which of my 6L6's would be within a safe range I need to know what the actual range is that Mesa uses. Mesa must use an actual numerical range to judge which tubes are within their limits. I'm not talking about the 4 to 7 range that groove tubes uses to determine how fast a tube will overdrive. In order for them to get that 4-7 range there has to be a current draw number to rate them.

rvschulz said:
I have "heard" that the Mesa 430 tubes are relabeled Ruby 6L6GCMSTR tubes. that is what i have put in my .50 +, Mark III and now Lonestar.

hey there, to quote Amp Guru Boogiebabies:
"The STR*440 is the Ruby 6L6GCMSTR. It is Ruby's own design on their equipment, but made in China. It is a copy of the Sylvania 6L6. I have used them for two years without a problem. I even have a set of the Boogie labeled STR*440s and they are superb as well. I think the Boogie STR-440 is a decent deal. They get screened by Ruby and then by Robotube at Mesa.
They are much fatter sounding than the STR-430 / Sovtek 6L6WXT, although the STR-430 IMHO is a great tube in a Rectifier or Road King."

I bought a pair of Ruby 6L6GCMSTR to try, but found a difference in sound and prefer my STR440's.

But the price?? Well you get what you pay for. But Mesa have us Australians over a barrel charging AU$98RRP (US$90) for a pair - yes, pair of STR440's!!!!! But they are aggressive and nail the sound that im looking for. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks for the reply`s! I decided to stick with the Mesa tubes ,although you can only get str 440`s now. Its funny 2 out of the three store i called said I could use any 6l6 tubes in my Mesa, not mentioning anything about correct current draw. This basically proves to me the people in these forums are more knowledgeable than the store salesman.

analog said:
Its funny 2 out of the three store i called said I could use any 6l6 tubes in my Mesa, not mentioning anything about correct current draw. This basically proves to me the people in these forums are more knowledgeable than the store salesman.

well yeah! of all the forums i frequent this is by far the most informative,mature, and unbiased.

Latest posts

Back