5881/6L6 Discontinued

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LesCarr

Reaction score
Dose anybody out there use the 5881 tubes and like them. :?:
Mesa Boogie is discontinuing them " not as reliable".
I just started trying them 5881"s and found I like them. They don't sound as "bright" to my ear, should I say 5881's sound warmer at low volumes. They sound better IMHO for the blues music I'm learning.

You didn't say what amp you are putting them in?

I use Tungsol 5881 they made tons of them for the military so you can get them NOS and they don't cost a fortune they really sound great in my Bassman. I don't use them in any of my Boogies I use American made black plates in the MKI and Mesa tubes in my MKIIC+ combo and head. I use Telefunken 12ax7 in the head and Mullards in the combo. :wink:

:oops: I should have mentioned MK-IV 85' production year
IMHO this is the nicest AMP I've owned to date; versitile, smaller package, true tube tone 8)
MESA C.Service says they have more in stock but I guess they won't distribute them to vendors and I can buy direct :)
As for the MK-IV I have made a suggestion to Mesa Boogie to either on there website publish a Factory or personal settings diagram for the back pannel, the Owners manual only illustrates the front pannel.

LesCarr said:
Dose anybody out there use the 5881 tubes and like them. :?:
Mesa Boogie is discontinuing them " not as reliable".
I just started trying them 5881"s and found I like them. They don't sound as "bright" to my ear, should I say 5881's sound warmer at low volumes. They sound better IMHO for the blues music I'm learning.

The Mesa STR 425 is a short base Sovtek 5881. I would have to say that I have been using these for ten years without ever having one go down.

"The Mesa STR 425 is a short base Sovtek 5881. I would have to say that I have been using these for ten years without ever having one go down"

Boogiebabies

:? very interesting
MESA's are 5881' s are Chinese manufacured I believe.
They could be getting a high number of rejects :roll: in their testing process. I know they believe in backing their product. I assume "cost effective" come into play.

For now I may stick to MESA Tube products and venture into other Brands etc. a little a little further down the road.

908ssp said:
You didn't say what amp you are putting them in?

I use Tungsol 5881 they made tons of them for the military so you can get them NOS and they don't cost a fortune they really sound great in my Bassman. I don't use them in any of my Boogies I use American made black plates in the MKI and Mesa tubes in my MKIIC+ combo and head. I use Telefunken 12ax7 in the head and Mullards in the combo. :wink:

Is that Bassman an old,old one or a newer RI :?:

I have a Fender Blues Jr., that I'm having converted to Point to Point wiring and some higer quality components installed 8) . I just have to find (shop) for a better speaker to go with it as well.

The STR-440 is the New Ruby Chinese Shuguang 6L6. The 5881 STR-425 is a Sovtek.

You can buy the 5881 here http://www.tubedepot.com/so-5881.html for
$ 22.95 a set. These things are everywhere and are cheap. I usually buy mine from Ruby for wholesale which is not much more than $ 22.95 a set.

I didn't know that the 5881's wer Sovtek.
Of course I didn't mention that Im running them with EL-34 's on the two outside sockets. :shock: For some reason I like the sound in this configuration, next I'll try all 5881's....maybe. I don't need volume I looking for that tone 8)
Thanks for the Link!...Bb

I had a late 60's fender Delux Reverb that was CBS Fender but the chassis and components Fender preCBS final per serial numbers as I was told when I bought it in 77-78' previous owner had it in closet for years then traded it to Spitzers Music. I put a expensive JBL speaker in it, played it a few of years then it sat in my closet for another twenty+ after I got Married and started the Family thing. I Traded it for a brand new Cybertwin :shock: plus $300 cash. sold it on consignment it sold in a couple of days no questions asked. the amp was esentially in mint near mint condition just didn't have original speaker that amp sounded as sweet as Tupelo Honey sometimes all I can say is stupid stupid stupid :oops:
I'm having a fender Blues Jr done up Point to Point with some up graded components and a Jenson Q12 or Weber blue dog (haven't made up my mind yet) I hope it sounds as sweet.

LesCarr said:
I had a late 60's fender Delux Reverb that was CBS Fender but the chassis and components Fender preCBS final per serial numbers as I was told when I bought it in 77-78' previous owner had it in closet for years then traded it to Spitzers Music. I put a expensive JBL speaker in it, played it a few of years then it sat in my closet for another twenty+ after I got Married and started the Family thing. I Traded it for a brand new Cybertwin :shock: plus $300 cash. sold it on consignment it sold in a couple of days no questions asked. the amp was esentially in mint near mint condition just didn't have original speaker that amp sounded as sweet as Tupelo Honey sometimes all I can say is stupid stupid stupid :oops:
I'm having a fender Blues Jr done up Point to Point with some up graded components and a Jenson Q12 or Weber blue dog (haven't made up my mind yet) I hope it sounds as sweet.

Hey LesCarr, is this Torres Engineering is doing the work? Tell me how it goes. Sorry to hear about that Fender Deluxe.

You are not the only one that sold some classic gear ...

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=4758

Hey LesCarr,

If you want to do some real evaluation of speakers (Weber, Jensens, Mojos, Celestions, Tone Tubby) take a trip south to Gilroy.

http://svvintageamps.com/

Just a suggestion.

I'm planning to make an appointment (if I could get off work) there to do some speaker evaluation for my Allen amp kit F51+.

RR said:
Hey LesCarr,

If you want to do some real evaluation of speakers (Weber, Jensens, Mojos, Celestions, Tone Tubby) take a trip south to Gilroy.

http://svvintageamps.com/

Just a suggestion.

I'm planning to make an appointment (if I could get off work) there to do some speaker evaluation for my Allen amp kit F51+.

:idea: thanks very much I've gone to website and read section on speakers and am contacting SVVintage Re. speakers

Torres website discription of B Jr. P.P conversion make me anxious to get the amp back 8)

LesCarr said:
:oops: I should have mentioned MK-IV 85' production year
IMHO this is the nicest AMP I've owned to date; versitile, smaller package, true tube tone 8)
MESA C.Service says they have more in stock but I guess they won't distribute them to vendors and I can buy direct :)
As for the MK-IV I have made a suggestion to Mesa Boogie to either on there website publish a Factory or personal settings diagram for the back pannel, the Owners manual only illustrates the front pannel.

are you saying that your mk iv is made in 1985?

:oops: that's a typo, it should have read MK-IV '05 production year.

And I forgot to mention it is versatile in the second line.

Mistakes happen when one has been working all day and is tired and a lousy typist in the first place :roll:

I thought '85 was a little early for a Mark IV....

Mine is in the 600's and it is a '90.

I totally missed the versitile typo though I usually read past them anyway.

I had been wondering about the '85 but never got around to researching it to challenge it.

I wanted to have my ducks lined up before I started shooting....

It's best to check before one shoots :wink: or one may end up doing what Dick Cheney did :(

Latest posts

Back