50Cal+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fxrs

Reaction score
Found a 50cal+ combo for @ $5??. Is the 50cal voicing close to a MKI? Same ballpark maybe? It was much more open than my DC-5, one of which they had right below the 50 cal, so I was A/B'ing them for a quick couple of minutes. Thanks, Paul.

not sure about Mark I, but Mark III for sure in a wide range of tones ... I'm still "dialing in" my Mark III - but so far it replicated the .50cal + clean and brutal nicely ... that's not a criticism by any means.

Anyone else? This place is @ an hour away, so I won't be getting up there anytime soon.

I've owned a Mark III for 18 years, and bought a 50+ a few months ago. IMHO the 50 Cal.+ cleans were real close to the III, maybe even a bit "spongier". The lead sounds were not as fat or detailed (no Simul-Class), but still very much in the Mark III ballpark.
But they are noisier, more prone to tube microphonics, and the reverb tank is smaller and inside the chassis.
I would still pay the $200-300 more to get a Mark III, even a 60 watter (with Graphic).
Mark IIIs are seriously under-priced and under-valued, IMO. You can get one for about half what a used Mark IV is going for. Unless you have money to burn, a Mark IV ain't twice as good as a Mark III.
(Flamers may jump in now...)

I really like the lead sound on my 50+.
there is a lot of info on the board on using different tubes in certain positions to acheive a thicker tone.

Back