50 watt vs. 100 watt volume difference

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stash49 said:
I play out of a 4x12 with 100 head (now 150) except very small clubs, when I use a Stiletto Ace combo. I use a stiletto trident and standard cab mostly because the sound anf feel, not the shear volume. I like the way those 4 speakers pushing air feel. I played a 2x12 combo for a long time after my 1x2 .50 cal started sounding weak in some rooms. I learned that the reason most top pros play out of 4x12 cabs. It's not a bout the volume. My 50 watt Ace sounds INCREDIBLE, but it lacks the brilliant clarity of my trident through a 4x12, so I jam and practice with the ACE, but bring out the trident when I want to be at my best. Yes, miking the amp-blah, blah, blah...a 4x12 cab and 100watt+ head sounds better to me, not just louder.

I completely agree. Bringing my F-50 (before i returned it) to band practice, decible-wise it was loud, but my sound felt and sounded 'small', restricted.

When I brought the Dual Recto, complete night and day. I will not play out band without this amp. The feel and sound is just what i wanted and what I will request if I were to play out.

Think about it this way, why do some players prefer Strats over Teles? Theyre both guitars right? Same thing with watt rating. I know some players who swear by the increased saturation/sag they get with 50 Watts, some will not play without their 100W headroom monsters. Its all personal preference.

I'm going to monkey wrench the entire conversation here:

I have a good friend who plays 2 Blackface Princeton Reverbs in stereo. He plugs his guitar straight into a Maxon Compressor, a couple of distortion pedals, and a Line 6 Delay Modeller.

His tone is tremendous, but he never plays clean. It really cuts through in a band too. The only way that he can get his Clean tones to shine through is to use his Twin Reverb or 100 watt Plexi.

Latest posts

Back