.50 Caliber+ question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpstudio

Reaction score
Hi there I am new here and a new Mesa Boogie owner. My question would be is there a mod where I can add a pot to give me a separate gain control for each channel? I don't have the amp yet but I think it would be better to have separate gain controls.

I would say call you local amp tech, I've had mine totally rebuilt, it has a footswitchable solo boost, 100 watt pwr and output transformers and is powered by a pair of 6550's. So I'd say Yes to your answer, there are guys out there who are probably crazy enough and willing to do it.

wow that is highly modded. I am pretty sure I can do the mod myself I have modded my Traynor ycv40wr to have a mater volume and added a switchable bias to let me use EL34's. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and if there is a how to that will save me time lol

Thanks

I can see why you'd want to do it, but I've always just need the Lead channel, but it could work since the Studio Preamp is very similar to the .50 cal+ and it has a great usable clean and lead channel. Good Luck!

lpstudio said:
Well I will wait and see I may be ok with the shared gain

From what I understand (I could be **** wrong), the Clean channel starts at preamp tube position V2...with the V1 position as the Lead channel "gooser" into the V2 position.

^Boogie bro's, I could use clarity on this.^

If you are of the mind to use the .50 Cal + as it is, mindful selection of the V1 preamp tube, in relation to the gain of the V2 preamp tube might yield satisfactory results.

I rarely mess with the cleans on my .50 Cal +, but that is me. :twisted:

lpstudio said:
Hi there I am new here and a new Mesa Boogie owner. My question would be is there a mod where I can add a pot to give me a separate gain control for each channel? I don't have the amp yet but I think it would be better to have separate gain controls.
better yet, get a Mark II :wink:

Did not mean to be sarcastic. But basically that's what you are trying to strive for.

I have read that V2 could be changed to a lower gain tube to compensate when I get the amp I will see what it is like. As far as getting a Mark II you never know this will be my first Boogie so time will tell.

Latest posts

Back