50 Caliber Mystery!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

futurestar

Reaction score
I bought a Caliber 50 + Head a year and a half or so ago, and it never really sounded the way it should have (no gain, terrible tone, etc). I tried changing the tubes, etc, but no difference. So I was using it as a power amp for a POD XT Live. Then yesterday, I decided to plug directly into it, and it was a completely different amp! (Like the one I used to own when they first came out years ago). It now has that Carlos Santana tone, with the liquid sustain that old Boogies are known for! I have no idea what happened! I almost shipped it down to Mesa a couple of months back to get it looked at! Has anyone on here experience this with a 50 cal?

Mark

If there really was a problem, don't worry, it WILL be back! :p

Does yours have the 4 EL84's or 2 6L6's?

It sounds like a similar problem to one I had with my 50+. You could try this...the next time it screws up on you, plug a short jumper cable across the effects loop and I betcha' the problem goes away. I have heard that the jacks are a bit of a problem but can be cleaned to restore contact or simply replaced.

sota said:
It sounds like a similar problem to one I had with my 50+. You could try this...the next time it screws up on you, plug a short jumper cable across the effects loop and I betcha' the problem goes away. I have heard that the jacks are a bit of a problem but can be cleaned to restore contact or simply replaced.

"Across the effects loop" ... did you mean plug a cable into the send and return?

Mark

Latest posts

Back