.50 Caliber + Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I just picked up a .50 Caliber + Combo, it's got 6L6's and a Black Shadow speaker...

I'm lookin for a tone somewhere near Metallica's Live tone...I'm currently found these settings to be decent:

Volume: 10
Master: 2
Lead Master: 2
Treble: 8.25
Bass: 1.5
Middle: 2.5
Reverb: 0
Presence: 4.5

BEDROOM Volume

I have the EQ setup like:

80: Halfway between middle and top
240: Middle Line
750: At bottom line
2200: Middle Line
6600: Halfway between middle and top

I'm fairly happy with the tone, but would still like to tweak it a bit to try an perfect my tone...It's got Mesa 6L6 GC 440's in em now...Haven't looked at the pre-amp tubes yet, but the tubes while still sound "okay" do need to be replaced you can tell when you plug in...

For all you .50 Caliber + owners: Any suggestions as to tubes, settings that you've found to be good?

Thanks for any suggestions!

My only suggestion would be if you get out of the bedroom and into a band situation, reduce some gain, high end, and presence as you increase the master volumes.
As the power tubes start to cook, too much pre-amp distortion will just muddy-up your sound.
Too much high-end will cause squealing (unless it's the girls in the front row doing that).

My only suggestion would be if you get out of the bedroom and into a band situation, reduce some gain, high end, and presence as you increase the master volumes.

+1

but i think i'll reduce gain and treble anyway... and it's always fun to experiment new preamp tubes... it depends on guitar as well... of course...

great amp isn't ? :D

Yes, a Great Amp! But I'm afraid to say so, because the Mark III will be jealous.
I really love the Rhythm channel with the Gain cranked. It's a great compressed blues tone, as good as, or, dare I say, better than my MK III. At this setting, the Lead sound is un-bee-leev-ably aggressive. I wish it had a separate Lead Drive control, but that's a small quibble.
And it has that tiny crappy reverb. But who cares, you ain't playin' surf music with this puppy.

I would download the manual on the Boogie site for sure! There are some great settings in it. I run the gain at 6, treble 7, bass 3, mids 3 and run your master at 4 as well as your lead volume. I run the prescence at 7 as well. Use the EQ and dip those mids to get that scooped tone. Let me know how you like that because I think you will! :lol:

Latest posts

Back