.50 cal. vs .50 cal. plus

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatlord00

Reaction score
Hey everyone,this is my first post,so here goes. I have a .50 cal. plus head,( newly aquired after years of trying to get a .50 cal.)I love mesa boogie tone.however this particular one doesnt sound anything like the old 50 cal I played once back in the day.it has the rediculous gain which is cool, however it doesnt have the tone.I know the old one had el34's and this one has 6l6's.My question is (as retarded as this may sound) is there a way to get that tone of the old 50 out of the 50 plus? in other words, mods or anything like that,or am I sol,and just need to be happy to have a 50 plus and shut up? :) thanks for any info in advance.

I'm sorry to say there's no practical way to replicate the difference between a 2x6L6 driven power section and a 4xEL84 one. The EL84 "chime" is as elusive as the "tube mojo" we discerning players cling to. :)

Also, the "non-plus" EL84 version does seem significantly less common.

All "non-plus" 50 Calibers are EL-84.
The "+" (PLUS) specifically refers to the 6L6 model.

You might try a pair of Yellow Jackets in the amp you have. It won't have the same depth as a 4 EL84 amp, but it may get you closer to what you are looking for.

Also, new tubes may help significantly.

Latest posts

Back