50 cal + question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixxVanRose

Reaction score
I just received this cabinet as a gift. My question is, I know the back of the mesa goes down to 4 ohms if you are going to share. This cabinet is 8ohm. I've been using it for 2 weeks, and it sounds like crap. I now realize why. Is there anyway to use this cab, or do I have to get rid of it.

Any suggestions wouldl be appreciated..

Here are the specs of the cab..

1X12 loaded with Vintage 30
* 8-ohm impedance
* 60 watt rms
* 1/4" Switchcraft jack input
* 15" high x 11" deep x 17" long
* weighs 30 pounds.
* rubber strap handle
* metal corners

if i understand you correctly - you are using this as an extension cab. is this a combo or a head ? if it's a head, you plug into 8 ohm by itself - if it;s a combo, you can plug this into 8 ohm by itself, or 4 ohm for both speakers at the same time - 2 speakers each into a 4 ohm plug.

if you are concerned about the sound quality, if the speaker is not blown - many other user comments declare the v30 to be flubby and loose. I have not played through one. The recto cabs come with v30s - the LSC cabs come with v90s.

more help to follow based on your responses.

Sorry, I left out some important facts. The amp is a combo, all original.

I don't know if the tubes are old, they do seem loose. I play hard rock, vh, old school ozzy, etc. Any help with some quick tube fixes and where to get them would be great.

My problem is, since the back of the amp says 8 or 4, if I switch to 4, can I put it in the extension cab? Also, would both the combo & extension be in sync with each other.

I'm really pulling my hair out. I use a pod xt with floorboard. I have it running through the effects loop. When I plug in my head phones into teh pod, my sound is incredible, when I run through the amp is sounds horrible. Even without the pod on, its not impressive.

Also, my thoughts are, I should set the mesa for a clean sound, which means the lead volume stays at 0, and use the pod for the distortion. I would just be using the volume knob & main master?

Any help would be appreciated. Just in case you need this info, I use a Jackson custom soloist, and a Les Paul Studio.

You have a couple of variables here.
1 Make sure the amp is healthy before you go using anything in the loop. The V30 is a good speaker for classic rock and blues. If it isn't blown or damaged, it should sound good. Playing death metal through it will be somewhat muddy. If you don't know how to test or repair amps, take it to a tech.
2 If you put a Pod in the effects loop, you have to disable all the speaker emulation and "A.I.R." emulation. Read your manual. The 50 cal is a great amp to use a pod with, but if you leave that emulation on, it sounds terrible. When you use the pod it disables the preamp section on the boogie. You will have Master volume and presence to work with. Everything else must be adjusted on the pod. Create(or modify) patches that you will use with the Boogie, and patches you will use with headphones. Don't try to make one patch sound great with everything. Using a POD with the Boogie can sound killer, but you have to be ready to put in the time to dial it in.

Thanks for the help. Some questions..

Do I have to go through the effects loop? And.. if I do, is there anything wrong with the pod knocking out the preamp section of the boogie.

My understanding is delays, flangers, etc should go through a loop.

If I don't put it in the loop, will it still knock out the preamp, and would I notice a dfference in sound putting it right in front..

Right now, my master is at 5, and my volume is at 3, with the pod through the loop, and its sounds alot better. I can still use some help though. I took of the boogie eq, I had it in a "V" form, and I didn't think it sounded to great with the pod on. I do notice the louder I turn the amp, the better it sounds with the pod on. Low levels, it sucks..

stomper said:
You have a couple of variables here.
1 Make sure the amp is healthy before you go using anything in the loop. The V30 is a good speaker for classic rock and blues. If it isn't blown or damaged, it should sound good. Playing death metal through it will be somewhat muddy. If you don't know how to test or repair amps, take it to a tech.
2 If you put a Pod in the effects loop, you have to disable all the speaker emulation and "A.I.R." emulation. Read your manual. The 50 cal is a great amp to use a pod with, but if you leave that emulation on, it sounds terrible. When you use the pod it disables the preamp section on the boogie. You will have Master volume and presence to work with. Everything else must be adjusted on the pod. Create(or modify) patches that you will use with the Boogie, and patches you will use with headphones. Don't try to make one patch sound great with everything. Using a POD with the Boogie can sound killer, but you have to be ready to put in the time to dial it in.

V30's are quite aggressive IMO, and sound great for metal. Hell, most metal players use them.

So when I go to the "AIR" environment, and it says slect cab, I would pick "No", correct? I would also do teh same thing when using gearbox as well?

[/quote]

V30's are quite aggressive IMO, and sound great for metal. Hell, most metal players use them.[/quote]

You are right, they are a great speaker for just about everything. I was speaking from the point that they are Celestions take on an alnico sound in a ceramic magnet. Lots of blues players put them in a Fender Deluxe and they sound awesome.

SixxVanRose said:
So when I go to the "AIR" environment, and it says slect cab, I would pick "No", correct? I would also do teh same thing when using gearbox as well?

Right. Try disabling all of the emulation. You have the real speaker there. I have made some nice recordings with the emulation, so it is useful. Once you disable it, the sound will be much clearer when using the amp. Keep at it, it can sound great. I have the older Pod Pro, so I can't really help with any of the newer features of your Pod. You won't hurt the Boogie by using the loop. It just disconnects the preamp section and lets the Pod take over. FWIW, Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult uses his pod this way. Check out his live tone for an idea of how it can sound.

Latest posts

Back