50/50 woofiness

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicebreakup

Reaction score
Has anyone had an issue with the 50/50 being woofy at higher volumes? I am using a Studio Pre amp with 1x12 open back EV. If I set the power up past 6 or so, it gets really boomy. The presence control only adds some zing (too much I think), but doesnt help the bass issue. I'd like to get some power amp distortion but I find my self running the preamp output at 6 and up. Any remedies, thoughts?

I assume if start to run in stereo this may be less of an issue, but for now. Oh, I am using stock Mesa 440's.

I may do that. I did get partial "relief" by changing my preamp driver tube from a JJ to a Mesa 12ax7. Some of the woofiness is diminished as well the preamp being more articulate.

The power amp tubes look good but I may replace them and leave the old for backups.

I'll still have to play around with my setup I guess. The new tubes (Winged C's) from Doug Tubes didnt make any noticeable change when the power amp volume is pushed past 8. I'm not sure if the preamp tubes in the 50/50 are contributing to the boomy sound but I havent checked them.

The other thing I was considering was that my 50/50 is a later model, voiced for the triaxis so I dont know if they increased the bass response when they revamped it.

Just because the volume isn't on 10 yet doesn't mean the amp hasn't hit the limit of its power output. If your input signal is hot enough, you could be hitting the power amp's limit well before 10.

I used a 50/50 ages ago, but it wasn't enough to keep up with a loud drummer--I'd max out and it would turn to mush.

Back