5 Minutes Alone CLIP

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afxwinter

Reaction score
Tried to learn this song and record it today... I wish I could play it right in D but my guitar's not setup for it so I did it in drop-D instead. Let me know how you think it sounds, and if the low-end is too much. My speakers take a lot of bass to sound like there's too much since it all comes out the subwoofer so it's hard to mix on them.
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mblack4/mp3/afxwinter - 5 minutes alone-2.mp3

Not bad, but as you pointed out, a bit bass heavy. But don't get discouraged. One thing to note is that MOST people playing, or trying to play pantera stuff on guitar turn the bass up WAY to much. People tend to forget that one of the things that made pantera distinctive, early on at least, was how "tight" they were as a band. When a bass and guitar are playing the same riff at the same time, it "should" almost sound like one massive instrument (at least in the case of most pantera music.) That means you can drop some of the bass in the guitar, which tends to "firm up" the low end, sometimes giving you a bit more "punch". This, in turn, allows the bass player to bring up his "mids" a bit, filling in the area of the spectrum you dropped. Don't forget... Timing is everything.

P.S. Before you commit to a mix, audition it in as many places as possible. Use cheap head-phones, expensive headphones, peel a cassette off and put it in a boom box, drop it in your buddy's ride with the bad-*** stereo, you can even get cheapo FM x-mitters and play it on a cheapo alarm clock. Take notes of each listening session and tweak the recording to find the best "middle ground". You're more likely to get more people interested in your recordings if you don't have to say "Well, you should really hear it on so-and-so's system. It really slams."

P.P.S. Since you already seem to know that your recordings come out bass heavy, use that knowledge to your advantage when you mix it. Try altering the subs placement, or just mix the bass lighter in the frequencies it's accentuating.

Yes, timing is the key for this song, but good job anyway...
Playing is great and just so heavy as it should be.

Latest posts

Back