5 Favorite guitar tones:

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's mine in no particular order...I'm a bit of a metal head :twisted:

Opeth - Watershed album
Devildriver - The Axe Shall Fall
Adam Jones - All Albums
David Gilmore - Post Pink Floyd
Machine Head - Imperium

Depends on what style but top 5 alll time id have to say in no order what so ever

Adam Jones any and all tool songs
Slipknot- All hope is gone (great orange and rivera tones right there)
Dino- Mechinize
Meshuggah- any tone even though its pod xts through the pa
Lamb of god- with either the mark iv or v amps anythign with their rectos suck major balls

Alright some different stuff then has been mentioned for the most part:

Bluesbreakers era Clapton
Rio Grande Mud era Billy Gibbons
Paul Kossoff (pretty much everything)
Greg Martin (Kentucky Headhunters, Rufus Huff, Mighty Jeremiahs...a way, way under rated player)
Peter Frampton (a serious and under rated player with smokin tone on everything he has done...just ignore the goofy movie he did with the BeeGees...listen to Humble Pie Rockin the Filmore. It doesn't get better).

Others: David Grissom (the Storyville stuff in particular but his Joe Ely work and the solo stuff he has done is great also)

Oh...BB King, Freddie King and Mayall Fleetwood era Peter Green would also make the list.

Mark

..Here's some favorites that have been stuck in my head through the years for all to chew on...

Larry Carlton - "And Then There Was The Blues" solo, Crusaders Album: Those Southern Knights"
Robben Ford: "Freedom" Album: Tiger Walk (The silky, "front-pickup-Tele" clean tone...one never tires of hearing it...)
Billy Gibbons: "Blue Jean Blues" (You can hear the paper on the cone of the speaker chime in, beckoning Billy to play on...)
Neal Schon: "Topaz" Journeys first album At the end of the song, his tone "cools" down to a soulful vamp...pure joy!
Jimmy Page: Any tune from the "BBC Sessions". Why they didn't release these tapes earlier is beyond me...
this is as good as it gets for "live" r-n-r tone folks...

HONORABLE MENTION:
Walter Becker: "Hey Nineteen" Though brief, the opening lick on the bridge just drips the right amount of tone...and feel...
making this perhaps the tastiest lick I have ever listened to...

TOP FIVE ON BOOGIE'S:

SANTANA: Europa (It should not be cliche to mention this song on this board, as it undeniably showed countless
thousands of players how an amp could "sing" right along with the guitarist...
LARRY CARLTON: Any tune on his first album...if I had to pick one, it would be "It Was Only Yesterday"...
ROBBEN FORD: Any tune on "Inside Story".
STEVE LUKATHER: Solo on "Breakdown" Boz Scaggs Album: Middle Man (Lots of grease, but Luke had a way of turning
"grease" into "butter" with a Mark Series Head...)
CHRIS CAIN: This legendary Bay Area guitarist inspired all of us who saw him. His mastery of "Slow Blues" phrasing was
reproduced back in the day through a Mark I Combo and a 335. Robben calls him "one of his all-time
favorite" players. Sorry, you just had to be there, because anything of his that was recorded back then
just could not seem to capture his "Live" tone...unbelievable...you'd leave his performances feeling uplifted
and in awe that someone could reach you on such a level...

HONORABLE MENTION: It's no secret to anyone on this board that Andy Timmons has managed to capture some truly classic tones of both Lonestars and Stilettos on his last album "Resolution". Along the way, he has earned the respect of numerous players as indeed, someone whose touch and feel are expressed wonderfully through these amps. He has the DNA of an old soul-player, but the ability to frame it in a modern context, and it would be remiss not mention him here as well...

Cheers...

ps: I have a list of "Heavier-toned" faves as well...but they all seem to be covered on this thread...I just thought I'd offer up a change of pallette...

Without a lot of consideration;

Hendrix - Machine Gun + Voodoo Chile Slight Return + many others (esp his cleans)
Malcolm Young - Jail Break + pretty much every AC/DC riff
Morgoth (not sure if it's Carsten Otterbach or Harold Busse in the intro) - Isolated + all the jackhammering
Brian May - We Will Rock You + many others
SRV - Lenny + all his other stuff

special mentions to;
Lenny Kravitz - Fields of Joy + much of his stuff
Kirk Hammett - Suicide & Redemption off Death Magnetic
Ramones

From the top of my head:

Dino Cazares - Fear Factory - Damaged (from the album, Digimortal)
Jean-François Dagenais - Kataklysm - Under the bleeding sun (from the album Serenity in Fire)
Andreas Kisser - Sepultura - Politricks (from the album Nation)
Karl Sanders - Nile - Masturbation of the war god (from the album Black seeds of vengeance)
Phil Fasciana - Malevolent Creation - Cauterized (from the album Doomsday X)

My metalhead list :twisted:

lprstratuser said:

HONORABLE MENTION: It's no secret to anyone on this board that Andy Timmons has managed to capture some truly classic tones of both Lonestars and Stilettos on his last album "Resolution". Along the way, he has earned the respect of numerous players as indeed, someone whose touch and feel are expressed wonderfully through these amps. He has the DNA of an old soul-player, but the ability to frame it in a modern context, and it would be remiss not mention him here as well...

quote]

actually timmons did not use those amps on "resolution"......he used two different old marshall heads running thru a couple of boogie cabs loaded with v30's and miced with shure sm57's. the primary reason he uses the lonestar and stilletto now ithtta he is capable of re-producing the recorded tone of the marshall's live with the boogies. i'm sure when he reocrds his next cd it will be with the boogies but they werent used on resolution.

Devin Townsend
Slash
Dave Mustaine
Joe Satriani
Adam Jones (Tool)

masque said:
actually timmons did not use those amps on "resolution"......he used two different old marshall heads running thru a couple of boogie cabs loaded with v30's and miced with shure sm57's. the primary reason he uses the lonestar and stilletto now ithtta he is capable of re-producing the recorded tone of the marshall's live with the boogies. i'm sure when he reocrds his next cd it will be with the boogies but they werent used on resolution.

Really?

On MB's website, they have had a clip of the title track "Resolution" playing. I find it hard to believe Mesa Boogie would have a clip of one of their artists playing through a Marshall.

:?:

LTE said:
masque said:

Really?

On MB's website, they have had a clip of the title track "Resolution" playing. I find it hard to believe Mesa Boogie would have a clip of one of their artists playing through a Marshall.

Looks like he used a combination of Boogies, Marshalls, and AC30S..

I believe the video that was on MBs site was this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog567ovXrI

All the Best,
~Nep~

LTE said:
masque said:

Really?

here is a quote from Andy himself about a track from Resolution and most of resolution;

The guitar sound on Beware Dark Days (and most of the Resolution tracks)
is a 1968 Marshall Super Lead 100 watt head and a 1979 JMP master volume
100 watt head both running loud and clean with a Tube Works Tube Driver for gain and a Maestro Echoplex and Chandler Delay running into the front of the amps for ambience. I very rarely record w/reverb and if my memory serves, no reverb was added to the guitars in mixing, only additional echo on occasion. The trick with delays is finding the sweet spot of having enough echo for the "halo" of tone without being too audible (and distracting)
Tape echo is best for this and for live, I get great results with my Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man units. They have a nice tape-like tapered echo trail and a modulation feature that replicates the wow and flutter of the tape for a lush sound.
Good luck on your Tone Quest,
Andy

also, here is a direct quote from mike daene who recorded the CD for andy;

Hey guys,

We just returned Sunday from our quick European jaunt. It was my first time in England. Got to see Stonehenge! A lifelong dream.

Anyways, you seem to have found the basic answers on an AT interview which describes the amps and signal path. As you read, the basic path was one SM57 on each cab into a pair of Neve 1272's into the computer. We tried several room combinations with the U87 (the one in some of the pictures) but always ditched it as it muddied up the sound too much. We split the 57s hard L-R and that's all you're hearing. The hardest part about recording this way is (A). Positioning the mics to get them to sound good, and (B). Positioning the mics to get them in phase. Since you're dealing with two different heads, the tones don't match up and you can get a pretty serious amount of cancellation. The only way around this is to monitor in Mono and move the mics till the sound is full and sounds the way you hear it in the room. We sometimes would spend several days working out phase issues on any given track.

As far as the guitar and amps used, Andy played his AT300 on most everything except "ditch" which he used his Tele. The primary amp sound is the 68 Plexi on the left and the 79 JMP on the right (both run fairly clean with the tube driver in front). For echo we used my old Maestro Echolpex on one side and AT's Chandler digital delay on the other. There were other other little things we would do in and out of particular tracks but that's the meat and potatoes of Resolution.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask any other questions about the recording process.

Best,
MD

I think that Neptical cleared things up. While Andy used the Marshalls on the actual track, that guitar player interview has "Resolution" played with the Boogies, so the clip on MB's website of "Resolution" is most likely from that interview.

Bottom line Andy sounds like Andy. Yeah sure there is going to be some differences in tone between each and every piece of equipment you use, but I tell ya what I have heard andy play live (guitar clinic) with both a lonestar and a Stiletto, recreating sounds from not just the resolution Cd, But other albums -That was then this is Now (not totally sure what he used on this album)- and and he sounded #$#@#$ awesome. Nothing beats hearing an amp live where you can hear the notes and well as "feel" the notes going through your body :mrgreen:

surferdeac said:
Bottom line Andy sounds like Andy. Yeah sure there is going to be some differences in tone between each and every piece of equipment you use, but I tell ya what I have heard andy play live (guitar clinic) with both a lonestar and a Stiletto, recreating sounds from not just the resolution Cd, But other albums -That was then this is Now (not totally sure what he used on this album)- and and he sounded #$#@#$ awesome. Nothing beats hearing an amp live where you can hear the notes and well as "feel" the notes going through your body :mrgreen:

what I always took away from those AT interviews is that you don't have to work very hard to get those tones put of a lonestar or a stiletto. Considering the rarity, expense, and fragility of those amps (not to mention the size and volume), that's not really a bad deal.

And here are my favorites
Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies
Eric Johnson - lead tone on Zap
Andy Timmons - resolution cd
EVH - VH1
Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue and Secrets
Shawn Lane - Powers of Ten live

Shawn Lane-Time is the Enemy
Guthrie Govan-Erotic Cakes
Allan Holdsworth- Metal Fatigue, Tony Williams Lifetime, Soft Machine Bundles
Petrucci-practically anything
Vai- For the love of God
Pat Martino- Footprints, Live, Interchange, The Maker, Nightwings (I think this album is my least favorite of his compositionally but the tone is massive)
Hendrix- Band of Gypsies
EVH-the Diamond Dave years
Wes Montgomery-Boss Guitar

Metallica- load and reload tones

Foo Fighters- just anything they have great tones.

Dire Straits- Sultans of swing(I love EVERYthing about this song)

Alice in Chains - dirt album(the way grunge should have been)

Tool- the Aenima album is amazing for tone.

In no distinct order:

Jerry Cantrell - solo work (like Anger Rising)
Metallica - I like pretty much all their tones (even St. Anger...I know)
Type-O-Negative - Bloody Kisses
Suicidal Tendencies - Nobody Hears
Alice In Chains - all time favorite band
Megadeth - Almost Honest, 99 Ways to Die, Use the Man

No order here:

Sonny Landreth ---anything live
SRV on Texas Flood & just about anything he did.
Ted Nugent----Full Bluntal Nugenty esp Stranglehold
Robin Trower---Bridge of Sighs
ZZ-Top---Ole Billy gets me everytime---Nationwide, Cheap Sunglasses
Old George Thurogood
David Gilmore----Live
Angus---need I say more
Jimi-----Listen to "The Jimi Hendrix Concerts" you can hear the strings sticking to and popping off his pickups when he dive bombs!
Alex Liefson----Rush Exit Stage Left, Xanadu intro, La Villa Strangiato etc

and I could go on and on.

Latest posts

Back