5:50 ice-pickish. Would a speaker change be the remedie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jupp, you where all right!

Tried to relearn my settings at practice last night. The gain/mid/treble settings are powerful stuff. Especially the gain/mid interaction. I manage to tame the ice-pick and getting a tone I like by reducing the mid and increasing the gain a bit. With my new found learnings I found several different settings that was soft but still crisp. Suddenly the contour control became a nice feature too, when the mid is set too high it wasn't.

Also tried a couple of different tubes for the V4: Stock Mesa, JJ, Philips Miniwatt and my NOS long-plate Sylvania and found very little to no difference in tone.

Thanks!!
/G

Glad to hear it's starting to work better for you.

These amps do indeed need some dialing, probably because all the settings are so very responsive and have a wide range. It can get frustrating at times :lol:

I have had mine over a year now and am still learning it.

I was experimenting with my 5:50 last night and noticed that when I turn down the gain and increase the master the amp gets quite bright!

I typically run the gain on channel 1 clean mode at about 1:00. It's pretty clean there but has some texture with my guitars (Strat and Tele with single coils and Les Paul and ES135 with low power buckers). I get a warm tone that's nice for everything I play (blues, r&b, classic rock, a little bit of old country...). It's not crystal clear though. Even lowering the gain down to about 11:00 and increasing the master to about the same volume level made the amp quite bright! With the clean mode's gain at 1:00 it's not much dirtier, mostly just warmer sounding.

I didn't quite understand how loud do you play but coming from EL84 amps I always here icepick treble in 6L6 amps. Yes they are more clear but they hurt my ears especially in high volume...

...but everything can be adjusted, an eq in the loop for example some alternate settings on the amp and some getting used to and voila..."less icepick".

When going back to my EL84 amp in the same day I thought something was wrong with it!!! Nothing was. One or two hours of play and let the ears reprocess the sound and again I couldn't stand 6L6s!!!

konstantine RK said:
SPAX7 UPDATE YET???

Unfortunately not. I'm giving the dealer until Monday, if they do not know when they will be delivered I purchase elsewhere.
The "problem" is that I got a good deal... On the other hand; if the can't deliver they can have any deal they want....

Update:

About the icepick: You guys taught me how to use the tone controls. Since then I've managed to dial in a soft sound of my liking. Thanks for that!
My fault was thinking about the tone controls as being ordinary controls with zero at noon. That fooled me into some rather extreme settings.

Tube upgrade: Didn't get an exact delivery date for the SPAX7 tubes from the Swedish reseller so I canceled the order. Will order a set from Germany as soon as I get my next paycheck later this month. I've already wasted the money on some other guitar related stuff... :D I'll be back with a report.

/G

GoranS, you have no idea how anxious I am to read your posts once you receive the Mesa SPAX7's!! I swear by them! I just can't believe how long it has taken for you to receive them. I mean, you could have walked down to the seashore, jumped in, swam across the Atlantic, had dinner in New York, walked to California, met all the guys at Mesa, purchased your set of SPAX7's and walked back across the USA, swam back across the Atlantic (Gulf Stream helping you) installed the tubes and rock the house down!

:D You're right. I should have fetched them myself and had a good time while at it. :lol:

In the mean time I've been fixing my pedalboard and needed some stuff so I used up the funds.
Aw, well, there's soon some fresh funds...

/Goran

Finally! :roll:

I've just placed the order for my tube updates. Since already having SPAX7 in V1 and V2 position i decided to
buy 2 more for the V3 and V4. I also would like to tame the reverb a bit, so I decided to get a Groove Tube
12AT7 for the V5 position.

All tubes are in stock at Thomann in Germany, so I expect delivery late next week. :D

/G

Latest posts

Back