5:25 or 5:50 as a bedroom amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richpjr

Reaction score
I am looking for a two channel amp to play at home in a bedroom with some occasional home studio recording. Is the 5:25 (1x12) or 5:50 at 5 watts too much amp for this? My house layout and position of my neighbors house allows me to play fairly loud for a bedroom, though obviously not anywhere near gigging levels.

With the prices being so close between the two, aside from the tub differences and cabinet size, is there any reason to consider one over the other? I had read a few people in various forums mention that the 5:50 is quieter. The flexibility of these amps is terrific and if they would work in a bedroom setting and still sound good at non-gigging levels, I'm very interested in them.

I have a 5:50 and use the 5W setting at home. The amp still sounds pretty good at lower volumes. I've recorded with it and like the results. It's an extremely versatile amp. I recently acquired a Mesa wide body, 3/4 back extension cab and it really adds some nice bottom end to it. Regarding which amp to get, let your ears be your guide. Both amps sounds really good in their own right.

This is nice to hear. The Guitar Center near me is far too noisy for any critical listening of an amp at bedroom levels.

Regarding GC and Mesa amps, there have been some posts indicating that the tubes in Express's purchased there aren't Mesa tubes. I don't know if its true or not. I purchased mine from a small Mesa dealer and all tubes were Mesa's. If you buy from GC you probably don't want a floor model. Buy one in a sealed box. Lord knows how many death metal wannabees have been bangin away on em.

So I go in today to play a 5:50 on lunch and loved the thing. Stopped by again on my way home from work and picked up the one I had played, after making sure there were indeed Mesa tubes in it. Got it home, fired it up and bam, one of the 6L6 tubes blows! I had a spare JJ 6l6 that I swapped in to make sure the amp was okay and it worked fine. I called back the guy who sold it to me and he will give me an entire new set of tubes for it. I won't get a chance to really play it until tomorrow night, but I am very fired up.

Congrats, Rich. Hopefully the new tubes will be matched. Speaking of tubes, I re-tubed with some Tubes from Doug's and I'm very happy with them.

I use my 5:25 at home and gigging. While I can get great sounds at low volume at home, I love nothing better than cranking the master and getting power tube distorsion for screaming Blues. 5 watts is still to loud to do that much at home though. Really I don't think there are many choices for amps less than 5 watts. You could try a Zvex nano or Rock Block. They are both around 1 watt.

Anyway, I love my 5:25 and would not change it for anything else. Not being able to fully crank it is the only issue I have, and it is the same with any tube amp 5 watts and over. I can't crank my JCM800 or my Blues Junior either.

My bet is you will love your new tone generator !

Another good 5 watter is a Blackstar HT5-H. Played one today for the first time and although it's not totally tube, it's got a pretty convincing tube sound to it. Pretty surprised actually and it's only $300. Not bad at all. But if you already have an Express, then screw that little piece of crap.

Bedroom or gigging amp? My new 5:50 is great for both settings.
For bedroom settings the master volume turned down still gives the overall effect of what the amp can do.
Obviously you need gigging volume to appreciate the tone etc but at low volumes at home it is really "practice" sounds and volumes - a shadow of the real thing. But still better than some small cheap "practice " amp

Greg

My Express 5:50 is the most flexible amp that I've ever had as far as volume is concerned. That's not even considering the 5 watt mode (which I use more to change the amp's sound and feel than it's volume). Often, an amp is either good for home use or band use, seldom both. This amp is great from the basement to the rehearsal room, club, outdoor event, etc...

It's got a great master volume control.

I still wouldn't consider it a "bedroom" amp unless you own a house and no one is in the next room watching TV.

My SCXD is a much better bedroom amp though it can get a little loud.

vbf said:
Congrats, Rich. Hopefully the new tubes will be matched. Speaking of tubes, I re-tubed with some Tubes from Doug's and I'm very happy with them.

From what I understand, you don't need to bias the amp after swapping out Mesa Tubes - is that the case for other tubes? I have a matched set of JJ 6L6's that I could try in it.

Don said:
I still wouldn't consider it a "bedroom" amp unless you own a house and no one is in the next room watching TV.

That is my situation, so I can play pretty loud in the bedroom, though clearly not gigging levels.

richpjr said:
vbf said:

From what I understand, you don't need to bias the amp after swapping out Mesa Tubes - is that the case for other tubes? I have a matched set of JJ 6L6's that I could try in it.

Many tube retailers, like Eurotubes, will provide tubes that match Mesa bias specs upon request. If you are using Groove Tubes the "Medium" 4-7 rated tubes are within Boogie bias range.

Just out of curiosity (since I do play in a bedroom and won't have a chance to really crank this thing up for a while), at what level does the master volume need to be at before the amp sings?

I don't like the masters below 9:00 though they're not horrible below that. It would be fine for practice. I've never had either of them above noon even playing at outdoor events.

I find on the 5 watt setting 12:00 to 3:00 on the master is where I get the sound I want. Ear plug territory at home though.

vbf said:

They gave me a set of matched tubes today for no charge. I'm going to play with them for a few weeks and then think about which tube set floats my boat from them.

I can get away with the master volume around 10 at night, maybe 11 during the day.

Before my Mark V, I used a 5:50 as a bedroom amp with great results. Now I use a Mark V as my bedroom amp, but my family doesn't like it as much! I really enjoyed the 5:50, wish I still had it.

Latest posts

Back