4x12 vs 2(2x12)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stash49

Reaction score
The 4x12 standard is killing my back, but I cant get THE SOUND without it. What would be the difference if I went to two 2x12s? I have a 2x12 recto cab now, and a 4x12 traditional which I use as much as possible, but the stairs down to my practice space make moving it in and out downright dangerous, especially at 3am after a gig. Would I get close with two 2x12 recto cabs? I don't have any way of trying it. Thanks.

Can't you get a band mate to help you or something? If worse comes to worse, just lift it stair by stair. Lift the cab up one step, step yourself up, then the cab up another step, then yourself, etc. Might take a bit longer but at leat you don't run the risk of tripping and fucking killing yourself.

stash49 said:
The 4x12 standard is killing my back, but I cant get THE SOUND without it. What would be the difference if I went to two 2x12s? I have a 2x12 recto cab now, and a 4x12 traditional which I use as much as possible, but the stairs down to my practice space make moving it in and out downright dangerous, especially at 3am after a gig. Would I get close with two 2x12 recto cabs? I don't have any way of trying it. Thanks.

I dont think you can replace the sound of a 4X12 . They are magical IMHO . Your story of going down the stairs at 3 a.m. reminded me of a band I played in 25 years ago . I went through the same routine . Im fortunate now as i get to leave my gear on the band truck . Good luck to you .

try a bogner 2x12...they sound gigantic. i've used one before. and an orange 2x12. both project really well. but i still kept my slanted recto for it's particular sound.

A lot of people here say the Genz Benz G-flex 2x12 keeps up with a 4x12.

If you are going down stairs why not keep a utility dolly handy. That way you could strap the cabinet in and wheel it down the stairs and not have to worry about anything especially your back. You know the type used to move things like washers and dryers and refrigerators and whatnot?

Russ said:
A lot of people here say the Genz Benz G-flex 2x12 keeps up with a 4x12.

If you are going down stairs why not keep a utility dolly handy. That way you could strap the cabinet in and wheel it down the stairs and not have to worry about anything especially your back. You know the type used to move things like washers and dryers and refrigerators and whatnot?

That's a good idea. My question about your band mates still stands though... they don't give you a hand? Doesn't your cab have handles on both sides? Just get one dude on each side. You help the drummer with his ****...he can help you with yours :lol:

They're great, but they can't follow me home after the gigs. I play in a couple bands, and I don't leave my speaker in the trailer, and I can't leave it in the car, so I have have to shlep it in the house every night, and it's about twelve steps up to the front door, and I can't leave it in the living room so it's about another 12 steps back down into the basement. The other night, I nearly lost it up the front steps about three am, then I put a nice hole in the hall the next day going back into the basement. Weight is an issue when you gig alot like me. I got rid of my roadster combo, and a part of the reason was the rediculous weight. Our bass player has an awsome sounding 3x10, it an epiphini, or something like that, weighing in at 43lbs! I envy him-my stiletto head out weighs him by a long shot!

I think that you might have to befriend a couple lackees. I mean really, you need at least one roadie that will help you with your gear. Let him think he is a guitar tech so he has a better title than roadie and that will be encouragement. Give him a couple drink tickets per show or maybe flip him a couple bucks so that he feels included. Just be sure you can trust him. Another nice thing about having a roadie is that while you are getting your vehicle positioned for load out or while loading in and parking you will have someone to really watch your gear. I have been hearing about way more gear theft lately to the point that I wouldn't even want to take a nice rig to a show without at least someone there as an extra set of eyes. Currently I don't have that problem because I am not playing out but before I remember stuff disappearing from time to time when the gear wasn't being attended.

No, the problems is after I get home-I'm alone after driving home from the gig and I have to get it in and out of the townhouse after everyone has gone their seperate ways. I cant expect these guys to follow me all the way home to help me-I thinks I just need to buy a house with a garage. It's a buyers real estate market now, but I was thinking of just moving to Charleston SC. I could but a house cheap there, but then I would'nt have any gigs. I'd have have to go out and audition, and I hate that.

The trusted roadie could go home with you and help you get your gear back in the house or out of the house before a show. I still think a utility dolly would be a good investment.

I don't think I can afford a roadie, but because you are so persitant, I will try a hand truck. The 4x12 has pretty nice wheeels, and I've relied on those. The handtruck may work on these **** stairs. I'll try one. I have a dinky one already, but I think I need a medium duty, with a strap.

stash49 said:
No, the problems is after I get home-I'm alone after driving home from the gig and I have to get it in and out of the townhouse after everyone has gone their seperate ways. I cant expect these guys to follow me all the way home to help me-I thinks I just need to buy a house with a garage. It's a buyers real estate market now, but I was thinking of just moving to Charleston SC. I could but a house cheap there, but then I would'nt have any gigs. I'd have have to go out and audition, and I hate that.

I live in SC and the music scene in Charleston is pretty good . You should be able to get a gig there .

I have a 2x12 cab which I haven't even used! If I may pitch a question to anyone who could help: Will I get a good balanced sound close to a 4x12 because my RKII combo is open back and the 2x12 is most likely tighter and/or punchier?

kingster911 said:
I have a 2x12 cab which I haven't even used! If I may pitch a question to anyone who could help: Will I get a good balanced sound close to a 4x12 because my RKII combo is open back and the 2x12 is most likely tighter and/or punchier?

The combo doesnt sound the same as a RK 2X12 cab as the cab is more tuned if you will . Your Closed back 2X12 cab would be a nice addition and add to the overall spectrum though .

Barry said:
kingster911 said:
The combo doesnt sound the same as a RK 2X12 cab as the cab is more tuned if you will . Your Closed back 2X12 cab would be a nice addition and add to the overall spectrum though .

So you DON'T think I'll be any closer to the sound of a 4x12? I was thinkin' it was possible because of the tightness of the 2x12 and the space of the open back on the combo.

kingster911 said:
Barry said:
kingster911 said:

So you DON'T think I'll be any closer to the sound of a 4x12? I was thinkin' it was possible because of the tightness of the 2x12 and the space of the open back on the combo.

I would imagine that it would be a great sounding rig but it would sound different than a 4X12 simply because of the open back combo . That isnt necessarily a bad thing . It would be good if you could just run your amp through a 4X12 while disengaging the combo speakers just to get an idea . Then try it with your 2X12 and combo speakers . Then you would have your definitive answer . When i got my 4X12 traditional cab it really made a huge difference in my rig . I hate to be without it now .

Back