4x12 EVM Loaded Cabinet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
av8or3 said:
Jim Ed Love said:
DaveP said:
I was speaking with Mesa today on an unrelated service issue and brought this up. They said they actually used to offer a 4x12 EVM loaded cabinet.

I bought both of these loaded with EVM 12Ls directly from Boogie, back in the 80's.

effectsforebay014.jpg

Those are cool cabs fro sure!
Jim

Thanks.

Ya know, I thought about selling them because I don't gig out anymore. My daughter asked me not to sell them. Now, I'm glad I kept them. I am really enjoying the new MKV and these cabs.

LerxstLee said:
I wish they still made straight cabs with the angle. That should be a standard cab offered along with the
traditional straight cab so you could make your choice.

I have the Straight 4 X 12 (with the half-slanted baffle), and I always wanted to have a straight baffle. I'n not sure why.

What makes the Straight Cab/Slanted Baffle so appealing? I would like to know because I have one.

Thanks!

What makes the Straight Cab/Slanted Baffle so appealing? I would like to know because I have one.
Best cabinet ever with EVM12's. The angle offers a chance for your ears to hear it, not just your kneecaps. So what if it weighs 160 pounds, I've got a bass player/roadie, extra large casters and a commitment to be the best sounding guitarist at the gig! Four speakers together allows me to get crazy controllable feedback at bedroom volume so imagine what happens when I play with my band. The Road Ready 4X12 EV cab is way better than a one speaker EV thiele design or combo in so many ways that it is worth lugging around. I just got done jamming "Lamb of God's" "Laid to Rest" with a friend and we compared heads (Mk IV & III) and cabs (the RR, an older M/B thiele, Boogafunk EVM thiele design, Marshall 1960A w/G65, Marshall 1960B w/G75, Genz Benz 4X12 w/ Eminence Private Jacks, 1981 open back M/B with original EVM and an new EV "classic" that is in the Mk.IV combo, hands down the clear winner was the Road Ready. We also nailed "Master of Puppets" tone exactly with the Mark III and RR. Yesterday at band practice the guys were awed at my classic rock tone with the RR. so I'm going to leave it home? I would rather stop playing guitar first, although "I'd trade it all, for a little bit more."

I swapped 4XEVM 12L's in my straight Mesa standard cab 2 months ago, it sounds HUGE, and yes it is crazy loud with my coliseum, headroom for days.................

Markedman said:
fretout said:
Best cabinet ever with EVM12's. The angle offers a chance for your ears to hear it, not just your kneecaps.....
Dude you revived 3.75 year old thread to give 'fretout' an answer to a question he asked in Feb of 2010!?! :roll:
WTF! You having a boring day at the office?

Yeah, George, I was searching for the inner or hidden meaning...

but it's eluded me...

wonder if Dave still has the cab, or his hernia has exploded by now...

Dude you revived 3.75 year old thread to give 'fretout' an answer to a question he asked in Feb of 2010!?!
Never met a rule I didn't want to break!

McBarry said:
Yeah, George, I was searching for the inner or hidden meaning...

but it's eluded me...

wonder if Dave still has the cab, or his hernia has exploded by now...
Four EV's in a 4x12... yeah I think the hernia has exploded by now if Dave still has the cab(s).

As for there being a hidden meaning. Seek within grasshopper ;-)

Markedman said:
Dude you revived 3.75 year old thread to give 'fretout' an answer to a question he asked in Feb of 2010!?!
Never met a rule I didn't want to break!
Rule? There's no rule being broken.
However, based on the threads age (aka when the question was asked) making a post answering the question ~4 years after the fact seemed kinda pointless.
But hey, Whatever floats your boat.....

Rule? There's no rule being broken.
However, based on the threads age (aka when the question was asked) making a post answering the question ~4 years after the fact seemed kinda pointless.
But hey, Whatever floats your boat.....

Answers are sometimes also useful to others with the same question doing searches.

If this did not get bumped up I would not be responding.
a 412 loaded with EV is not overkill by any means. It sounds great at any volume. Yes I have refurbished my Recto 412 with EVM12L black label. Hands down that is a killer combination. You can take it to the limit if you so desire assuming you can take it, or just enjoy the tone and vibe you can get at a normal volume setting. Weight of Mesa Standard slant 412 is 104lbs. Weight of 4 Celestion V30 41.6lbs, Weight of 4 EVM12L 64lbs. Net weight of cab with EV is 126lbs. That is not much of a difference. Besides, if you use the castors that makes moving easy. Lifting on the other hand will take two since the overall size is cumbersome. Then again I do not travel much with my equipment so weight does not matter to me.

weight of 4-EVM12L'S=75.84 lbs.

I have a live in road case for my cab and it's too heavy for me to load by myself, my cab is 180lbs.
Mesa standard straight cab is 106- (V30's) 41.6=64.4+75.84 (4-EVM's)=140.24+40(case)=180.24lbs

I'm a young guy, 51, and I have a business that requires me to move similar size equipment such as generators, pressure washers, etc., so the road ready cabinet is no problem for me. Four speakers grouped together sounds so much better to me that I would love to use a 4X12 all the time, especially at low volume. I have 4 single EV cabinets, a pair of thieles, a combo and an open back boogie cab. Unfortunately, the road ready 4X12 takes up too much space when I play out at clubs or private parties. Not necessarily physical space, but it looks out of place for classic rock. If another 4X12 road ready comes up on Craigslist, I've got $$$ and I'm buying it because it is the cabinet for my metal rig and a full stack, OMG! that would be cool. :twisted:

mesaboogie6L6 said:
weight of 4-EVM12L'S=75.84 lbs.

I have a live in road case for my cab and it's too heavy for me to load by myself, my cab is 180lbs.
Mesa standard straight cab is 106- (V30's) 41.6=64.4+75.84 (4-EVM's)=140.24+40(case)=180.24lbs

I am guessing you are referring to the black label for the weight. They are about 2 lbs more than the EV classic.

No sir, EVERYTHING about these speakers are EXACTLTY the same except for system power handling.

http://www.electro-voice.com/product.php?id=308
http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=410

No sir, EVERYTHING about these speakers are EXACTLTY the same except for system power handling.
All EVM12L's are the same - wrong. That's a fact! Designed the same - wrong. That's a fact. Weight the same for all EVM12L - :lol: I currently own 8 EVM12L's and they're right here at my side. Let's not split hairs, you'll lose! The specs you posted may have the same dimensions, I have 1 "classic" and 0 ZW's, the rest are from different years and models. If they sound different from age and usage, that is understandable, but I wish they where all the same interchangeable speaker and I could stop buying them.
From TGP; They are spec'd the same, but I think the 300W BLS version is a reissue of an EVM12L that was primarily used in PAs whereas the 200W Classics are reissues of EVM12Ls used primarily for MI. I have no idea about any tone differences between the two.

Edit: According to my internet research, the BLS version is a reissue of the EVM12L Pro-Line.

Edit #2: 200W Classic is reissue of EVM12L Series II

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=6080718

According to this guy, the difference between the 200 and 300watters are mechanical enhancements to support higher power handling.
This! Fact. That! Opinion.

I didn't say all EVM12L's were the same, FACT. I was talking about classics and Black Labels, FACT.

The specs for classics and Black Labels are the same, except for system power handling, FACT.

The info I posted is right from EV's website, not from some other forum, this is not my opinion it's FACT.

So let me get this straight, Electro-voice puts a sticker on their speakers that says, "300 watts Zakk Wylde" so they can fool their customers into paying more for the speaker? Only people who post on the Boogie Board are right
not from some other forum
and the Gear Page poster is wrong about the manufacturing process? Mesa6L6, this is not a personal attack, I really respect your post!

Here you go, I told you they were the same speakers, you lose!

Can you please tell me the difference between EVM12L Classics and Black Labels
besides the watts?

There is actually no difference other than the color and the label. They are
both 300 watt. Same exact speakers.

Best regards
Robert Deyarmond
Bosch Security Systems, Inc.
Communications Systems Division
Technical Support Communications Team Lead (ST/TSS1-AM)
12000 Portland Ave South
Burnsville, MN 55337 USA

Markedman said:
So let me get this straight, Electro-voice puts a sticker on their speakers that says, "300 watts Zakk Wylde" so they can fool their customers into paying more for the speaker?

Yes indeed they do, except I wasn't fooled, you pay more for the Black Label because it's a signature product by Zakk Wydle, just like any other sig product, you will ALWAYS pay more for it, even if it's the same!

Back